Nojel Eastern commits to Michigan

I like Painter, but he took Spike after Spike’s dad went to the media whining about Beilein trying to limit transfer destinations (presumably to Big Ten teams). I always thought it was a bad look those guys transferring in conference.

3 Likes

I’d almost prefer him for next year more so. Although I could see an Eastern-Brooks-Wagner-Livers/Johns-Center lineup.

Does Eastern guard guards much or does he strictly guard 6’5 and bigger wings? If he can guard quicker guards than he could start at PG. If not, he’d have to be a wing back up.

2 Likes

If any team deserves a Big Ten player to transfer to them its Michigan lol

12 Likes

Ideally, sits out a year in which he shoots 1000 jumpers/day.

5 Likes

Eastern is it a terrible shooter, but I can see a fit if I squint and have had a couple beers.

Nojel brought the ball up and initiated offense for Purdue at times, so you could slide Eli to the SG spot. With Eli, Franz, and Livers spacing there would be shooters for Nojel to pass to when he drives. Eli + Nojel is a formidable defensive back court and the length of Eastern + Franz + Livers makes switching pretty easy at the guard and wing spots. Mike Smith gets 15-20 a game in a reserve role, Zeb plays a few, and we don’t need to play Nunez.

It’s not a great fit, but it’s better than Nunez playing 15-20 minutes a game.

9 Likes

I think I’d prefer him for next year. If Michigan can land one of JCL or Chaundee Brown to be immediately eligible and hang onto Livers l think that’s the best case scenario. Having one of Eastern or Chaundee Brown sit out would be ideal for the roster the following year once Wagner leaves. Having 2 sit outs for next year and not adding anything to the roster for this year would be Intriguing as well.

I don’t see the team becoming national title contenders regardless of who Michigan adds for this upcoming season so I’d rather just get guys for the following year. If Livers stays and no one else leaves the team should still be good enough to make the tourney this year.

3 Likes

Dylan you guys should just podcast every day so we’ll always have some roster turnover to discuss directly after you record :rofl: :rofl:

12 Likes

The Eastern > Nunez part is absolutely true. And if Livers does indeed return, I don’t hate that lineup at all.

I just would have had Eastern very close to last on my list of ideal transfers. I think he creates more problems offensively than he does solve anything on the court.

2 Likes

Did anyone expect we’d do better in the Albrecht trade?

1 Like

I hear John Beilein needs a job, Let’s make that man a shooting consultant

6 Likes

The Player To Be Named later finally came through

14 Likes

The defense in the backcourt is a considerable factor, as is his ability to bring the ball up and initiate the offense. I definitely see the fit with Brooks next year.

4 Likes

What about an Eastern-Brooks-Wagner-Johns-Livers lineup. Switch that 1-5, has shooters and skill and athleticism and length. That could be deadly.

The more I think about it I’m down for getting a waiver this year. Although I don’t know that I’d want to bring in JCL in addition

6 Likes

Defensively is obviously where this is the biggest help. They have/had potential to be very poor defensively next year. This may help mitigate that somewhat if he is granted a waiver (or the NCAA passes the transfer proposal)

7 Likes

4 shooters and Eastern. Not bad. Can have 3 guys initiate the offense in the halfcourt (Eastern, Brooks, Wagner) or even add Smith into there. Lots of versatility with Eastern can play him 1-4 basically. Not sure if I’d prefer him for this year or next year though. Can see major benefits to either one.

7 Likes

Never fails…post podcast, news happens!

I’m not going to hot-take it, but I don’t particularly like this - as a Purdue well-wisher, I haven’t really liked Eastern for the past three years (as a player), and would be lying if him switching uniforms changes that.

He is a good defensive player. I am very skeptical if his value outweighs the anchor he throws around the neck of your offense.

2 Likes

Eastern’s Sophomore year he played well in the great Purdue offense. Last year he was not good but that whole roster was poorly constructed. I think we will have better pieces for him than Purdue last year for sure.

4 Likes

I think Eastern is a good fit. Smith has serious question marks, particularly on defense, and we were going to be relying very heavily on him. The back court has suddenly become a lot more flexible if Eastern is eligible.

Eastern was pre-season all Big Ten last season. I wouldn’t write him off as a decent option to start.

2 Likes

Matt Painter is one of my favorite coaches in all of college basketball so it’s hard to believe someone else will find a way to work it out, but let’s have a little faith in Juwan here

1 Like