NCAA Tournament Open Thread: March 19th

Nothing wrong with defense or slow tempo here. My problem is with the fouling and physical play to the point that it inhibits the game.

That wasn’t really a ‘great’ defensive performance by MSU as UVA still scored a hair over a point per trip (54 pts in 53 poss).

Let’s be honest, it’s UK and then everybody else. I think the only team with a realistic chance of beating UK is Arizona. They have the combination of size and athleticism to compete with the bigs of UK. The question is do they have the depth?

Yep. I think Wisconsin could give them a game though, and it’s unfortunate that they have to play each other in the Elite Eight.

Sparty is going to another final four. Their region is terrible. Just like Michigans revenue sports this year.

I can't call it a thing of beauty when every possession ends in a foul and neither team can shoot. It's boring to watch

Just a matter of preference. I think it’s a thing of beauty that neither team will relent…it is indicative of a certain mindset that I admire. If you love outside shooting and no defense, this is not a game for you. If you love interior defense and all out hustle, then this game is paradise.

This is a good point I don’t get why people get hung up on styles. Teams play different styles in hockey, football, even baseball where some teams rely on small ball more than hitting homeruns. Why do people believe basketball should be played at some type of universal style?

MSU is probably going to hold onto this win against Virginia. But man, it's been ugly to watch. Obviously not an MSU fan by any means but no way was I going to choose that game over Hull-Chelsea or Blues-Wings.

I think it’s been a thing of beauty…both teams unwilling to cede anything easy. Tough, intense basketball.

I take it you love terrible slasher flicks too if you thought that was beautiful. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sparty is going to another final four. Their region is terrible. Just like Michigans revenue sports this year.

Oklahoma should be another Virginia type matchup for MSU assuming they win. Good rebounding team that plays good D, but doesn’t shoot the ball all that well. Where I think OU has a decisive advantage is the backcourt in terms of size/physicality. OU’s guards rebound very well and have the ability to bully Trice, Forbes, and Nairn. Be interesting to see if OU attacks in that regard

I’ll take NC State in that region right now.

Good lord, Self goes down early again

I’ll tell you what, Huggins has his team operating at a high level considering all the attrition. I know he’s not a favorite around here, but the man can obviously coach. Love WVUs style of play this year

I'll tell you what, Huggins has his team operating at a high level considering all the attrition. I know he's not a favorite around here, but the man can obviously coach. Love WVUs style of play this year

He’s done a good job with this team, was surprised to see them punk Maryland like they did.

Had to chuckle at Doug Gottlieb’s comment (who I otherwise can’t stand) about Huggins just running Beilein’s offense when he arrived even though he didn’t really know it.

I can't call it a thing of beauty when every possession ends in a foul and neither team can shoot. It's boring to watch

Just a matter of preference. I think it’s a thing of beauty that neither team will relent…it is indicative of a certain mindset that I admire. If you love outside shooting and no defense, this is not a game for you. If you love interior defense and all out hustle, then this game is paradise.

I can definitely appreciate the effort and the tenacity, it was exciting because it was close, but still think it was a pretty ugly game. Would love to see that kind of effort paired with knocking down a few more shots and making your damn free throws. Don’t think the officiating helped much. That one Atkins block reminded me of Trey’s in the championship game, was all ball but still called a foul.

I think the bottom line is that the more post play a game features, the more fouls and stoppages in play. Teams are simply more inclined to foul closer to the rim because the shot has a higher probability of going in. Corresponding to that, most players operating close to the basket are bigger players, that generally knock down FTs at a lower clip, hence the game isn’t going to be high scoring. If you prefer high scoring, perimeter based games, MSU/Virginia just isn’t something you were going to gravitate to.

Fouls in the post are one thing. Fouls for off the ball holds, hand checking, bumping guys off drives, etc. are what make the game hard to watch.

Wisconsin posts up its bigs and its guards all the time yet generally their games are pretty clean.

Fouls in the post are one thing. Fouls for off the ball holds, hand checking, bumping guys off drives, etc. are what make the game hard to watch.

Wisconsin posts up its bigs and its guards all the time yet generally their games are pretty clean.

Stoppages can be annoying, I agree…but I just love physical play. I wish all leagues/conferences would officiate the same way the B10 does…basically no foul unless it is absolutely obvious. Let the players decide the game

Stoppages can be annoying, I agree…but I just love physical play. I wish all leagues/conferences would officiate the same way the B10 does…basically no foul unless it is absolutely obvious. Let the players decide the game

Agreed, I am able to enjoy all types of styles of basketball.