NCAA sets deadline to withdraw from NBA draft

Seems unlikely that Livers or anyone else on the fence will get any in-person workouts to me given the schedule.

NBA teams will be in Orlando quarantining to get ready for the season that starts on July 31st… Withdrawal deadline is a few days after that.

I guess the NFL doesn’t let you do the combine and withdraw your name…but sucks for the kids that they can’t go very far in the process before making a decision. Any idea when the NBA would select the invites to the combine? Or how many get invited? That might be an indicator of whether a player would think they’re draftable.

I still believe that “draft-and-follow” like the NHL is the best system and there’s no reason why the NBA couldn’t make it work. I believe that more than ever if they’re going to pump money into the G-league and sign high school kids. Put everyone in the draft, then the team and player can work together to decide whether NCAA or NBA/GL makes sense for them.

Interesting timeline that you would think would favor Livers coming back, but who knows. He may get convinced to take a leap of faith and enter the draft even without a guarantee. It’s certainly happened before.

Wouldn’t the combine end up being after July 31?

Or is there a chance it happens in the time span before then while teams are preparing for the end of season and playoffs?

Could you be invited to the combine, then August 3 happens - so you basically have to just decide?

Traditionally yes, it would be after the NBA Draft Lottery. Wrote that in the post.

The NBA could hypothetically set it for another date if they wanted.

So is August 3rd the latest possible date to withdraw or August 13th (Aug 3 + 10 days)?

August 3rd. Could be earlier than that if the NBA has an early combine.

“10 days after the NBA draft combine or Aug. 3, whichever comes first, to withdraw from the postponed 2020 NBA draft and retain their eligibility”

I totally agree Dylan that right around Aug 1 should be the latest to withdraw.

A lot of good stuff here.

Not likely to be any workout chances before the withdrawal deadline.

2 Likes

Hey Dylan

Likely a crazy question/ idea here but I am going to go for it anyway.

With the NBA showing a model of how to come back in one site, is there any whispers out there the NCAA tournament could be brought back too. I’ll give a potential set up I think could work below but getting that revenue could potentially help avoid what seems like a really bad financial future for NCAA sports even beyond basketball. I for one, have a really good friend who is a D1 woman’s assistant head tennis coach who is certain he will be furloughed or lose his job next year because there was no ncaa tournament revenue to prop up his program. Not to mention having March Madness sometime soon would be phenomenal for so many reasons. In any event the proposal:

A 64 team tournament is picked based off resumes from the end of this year

$10-20k (hardship pay) for all players and coaches who participate. If that’s for 64 teams, and say 20 people a team at 20k each you’d be looking at around $25M. I assume this would be a small if not tiny % of the tv money that comes in. Let’s add another $25M for all other costs and you’d be looking at $50M to put it on…

Obviously no fans at games…

Teams travel to one location, likely Vegas, and have a one month preparation period and in the final week this would include two to three exhibition games against other tournament teams. These games would not be part of the tournament and intended to get people in game shape…

The tournaments first 4 rounds would be played in 8 days with each winner playing every other day until you have a final four.

The final four would then happen a few days to a week later…

Covid testing would follow all NBA protocols and any players could opt out of playing (I doubt many would as this would offer great exposure)

Graduated seniors, like Teske and Simpson would be given a one time exemption to play.

Timeline: deal done by end of June; players report July 15th; tournament ends by September 1st… I believe this would work with the nba draft schedule and nba workouts could also simultaneously happen in the location for prospects…

People who have transferred in or out likely would have to be ineligible…

Say this set up could make $300m on a tv contract. The upside for all to me is obvious. Of course there will need to be lots of exceptions to the rules as normal made, but hey these are crazy times…

I look forward to your thoughts…

Also sorry just looked it up but ncaa tournament according to Forbes actually earns $771M a year in tv money. I would think they could get at least $500M now, even considering the state of the economy…

Paying players wouldn’t be an exception to the rules. It would be a precedent and there’s no chance that happens.

Could it happen without paying the players? I don’t think that’s one of the biggest hurdles. The timeline is a problem. I would imagine putting 64 teams in one place presents logistical problems for finding practice and training facilities.

6 Likes

Fair points on both ends. Logistics could be worked out by having 4 sites maybe Vegas, Phoenix, salt lake Denver something like that for the ramp up period.

I applaud the creativity but there’s like 15 reasons this wouldn’t happen

3 Likes

I agree kturnup. I love the creativity and would LOVE to see something like this if it could be pulled off, even if fewer teams participated. Frankly, I think most of us would love to see something like this if it could be pulled off safely. But I agree there are just too many hurdles to get over. I, too, commend Charlie for the idea.

1 Like

Good thinking but it’s not going to happen.