NBA Draft Projections & Mock Drafts 2019

Vecenie has specifically discussed Iggy on multiple occasions, so safe to say that not listing him here is a considered choice.

That said, I’m very surprised by this ranking of JP. Hopefully if he blows up and lives up to his potential in the next 6 games that we can maximize the outcome for the program.

I hope your are right ! Maybe its just lack of maturity that is hurting him now.

2 Likes

Interesting. He’s seen Iggy play on multiple occasions, has considered his choice, and still has him going undrafted. Hmmm.

No further comment, other than I hope he’s right. I would LOVE to see Iggy come back, and I certainly think he has things upon which he could improve. But then, don’t all players. Well…Zion.

I know others disagree, but I can’t believe Iggy isn’t considered a consensus pro prospect by experts.

1 Like

Where do you guys think CM will go ? Second round ? CM’s shot looks good but maybe he gets so high and floats that hurts his percentage.

Iggy is 42% from 3, that makes a pro prospect right there.

2 Likes

We may even get a direct explanation as someone has asked the question in the comments and Sam’s usually pretty good about responding. I’ll update this post if I happen to see it first.

Here’s the question that was posed:

I have two Michigan questions (since I’m a fan). First right now you have Poole going 35 in the draft. I feel as though he has been borderline atrocious with his shot selection, and though he has flashes of being a shot-creator and game-changer at the next level, too often he thinks he is James Harden and he takes bad shots, or he just has mental lapses. There is no doubt however that the talent to be a starting-caliber player, or at least a spark plug, is there, but don’t you think with another year of refinement, he could be a high first rounder?

Secondly, what is your thoughts on Iggy Brazdeikis’s draft stock. I see you don’t have him listed here, but with a good tournament I could see him being an early 2nd. Do you think he has maxed out his potential due to his athletic ability, or do you think he is a guy who tests the waters and then comes back.

Thanks a lot; I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.

5 Likes

Those are GREAT questions and I’d be interested in the answer. Thanks! :grinning:

My 2¢:
I don’t think anybody on this team is a first round pick in upcoming NBA draft. I think Brazdeikis is best NBA prospect on team and would go highest in draft this season

4 Likes

The reaction of the fan base to and scapegoating of Poole has been absurd. Hopefully he’s tuned out but it can’t make him more likely to stay. As much as I’d like to watch him play for Michigan next year, for his sake I kind of hope he blows up in the tournament and heads on to the draft.

3 Likes

My 2cents…people expect too much out of JP. He is a good college player but not great. I don’t fault him for the play at the end of the game.

4 Likes

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t go undrafted. I know he’s ready mentally and maturity wise with his decision and he’ll get paid, but I can’t remember a player who was so publicly planning to leave during the regular season with eligibility remaining that was so off the radar of NBA mocks

1 Like

Hmm? Most every mock I’ve seen him has him getting picked in Rd 2

I have stayed away from any discussion of yesterday’s game and so I don’t know of the scapegoating or blaming that you reference. I hope you don’t put me in the group of “fans” who are doing that (scapegoating) because blaming a 19 year old “kid” or 20 or 21 for that matter, for a loss is something I will NEVER do. We win together as a team. We lose together as a team. All of us. There is no one play that caused our team to lose yesterday.

I hope unfair criticism of our players is not taking place, but I guess maybe it is. I am sure there will be film sessions. Every play will be analyzed, by our coaching staff and by each of the players themselves, and that is as it should be. Our kids will get better as they always do. We will learn, and WE will get better.

I’ve seen it about 50/50 between being ranked in the 50-60 range or not listed in the top 60 as of late. Hopefully a tourney run will boost those a bit

Love Poole; great kid, great character. Hope we get him back. Yup, took some bad shots. But he, like Iggy, is one of the guys with the green light, and has buoyed the team up at times with off-kilter shots when things were NOT flowing. Just a sophomore, and could do just about everything next year, including be a much bigger threat to drive and/or dish next year. . .

I’m not putting anyone in particular in that group, certainly not you, but that question to Vecenie is pretty indicative of a lot of what I’ve heard or read, though I’ve tried to pass most of it by. It even has seemed to filter down to reporters and writers, if you listen to questions at press conferences and/or read articles. People feel anger and need to find a place for it, I guess, though personally I prefer to keep it for the refs :slight_smile:

As for remembering that that they’re kids and thinking of draft potential, Poole is quite young for his year, won’t be 20 until June - six months younger than Iggy, for instance, 5 days older than Foster Loyer, two months older than Aaron Henry, etc.

5 Likes

My general feeling re: Poole is that he consistently shows a significant lack of discipline in his game at both ends of the floor, and I would love the opportunity to watch him improve on that over another season at Michigan. Ironically, I thought his play at the end of yesterday’s game was brilliant. He knew that MSU would be giving one more foul, Winston gave that foul, and for whatever reason, it wasn’t called. If that call is made, Poole is being lauded for a great play, Winston looks really bad, and Michigan might be BTT champs and seeded second in Duke’s region.

7 Likes

Ever? I hope not.

Thing #1—the ability to pass, even a little. He’ll find it will open up the lane again for his drives.

1 Like