NBA Draft Projections & Mock Drafts 2019

I think in a weak draft if you’re projected to be a first round selection you go…If you’re not going to be that a player can really put themselves in a spot where their development is stalled and they’re not in the league in two years.

I can see this. Iggy is our guy but if we take off the blinders Wieskamp looks like he has more room to fill out, is already 6’6" with some decent bounce and looks to have the ability to be a darn good shooter. I could see where someone independent would place his potential above Iggys. I’d rather have our guy but I have to admit that’s largely because I like the chip he brings.

I know this controversial but I feel for Charles Mathews, he should have been able to make money in some way while at UofM. His isn’t going to be a first round pick and its likely to make huge $ in the NBA. Again, I know this controversial but its my opinion that players like CM are hurt worse by the NCCA than the Zion Williams.

1 Like

Poole - 49 Matthews - 53 No Iggy

Sam Vecenie’s NBA Draft Big Board update: Newest top 100, version 3.0

I’m shocked Poole is on any big board higher than Iggy at this point

I’m not. Iggy is a better player right now than is Jordan. However, Jordan has more potential–he’s younger, despite the fact that he is in a higher class, he’s got more ability to create his own shot, especially on the perimeter, and when motivated to do so, he sees the floor and passes better. Jordan’s problems are, at this point, maturation (bad shots, lack of ficus, lack of consistency from play-to-play, much less game-to-game), but he’s a good kid. NBA scouts see that as fixable, and I agree. Whether they think another year in college is important for him (it looks to be right now, but there’s basketball left to be played) will be evident from the post-season evaluations.

12 Likes

Bingo. Well said @Jeffrey_E_Schiller.

If I had to draft a guy from Michigan’s roster to be on my NBA team 3 years from now it would be Poole by a pretty wide margin.

Whether he’s playing well or not right now is beside the point.

4 Likes

That’s pretty high praise for a guy you have maintained has had questionable athleticism at the college level for his position. I know the draft is about potential and JP has loads of it, but if I was an NBA scout, if JP had Matthews’ body, frame and athleticism I would feel a lot better about his mental maturation and inconsistency concerns.

I also think Iggy will be an NBA player for a long time. This is less me slamming JP’s NBA potential as it is endorsing Iggy’s.

1 Like

Do scouts agree that Iggy has a position in the NBA? IMO he’s going to struggle as a perimeter defender.

Still believe Poole stays in the draft. My personal hot take.

Hope not! I just never want to lose anybody! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think Poole will declare for the draft but then come back to work on things to become a 1st round pick the following year. He’s still young and would just be turning 21 in the 2020 draft so his age isn’t too much of an issue. He’ll also have a higher usage role next year to work on things with Matthews gone.

I mean Calipari said he thinks his entire team should declare for the draft every year because it’s good too get feedback on their games from pro scouts and GMs. I think Iggy, Poole, Livers, Teske and Simpson should all declare without a agent and then obviously you’d think all would return. But getting feedback from professionals can’t hurt. At the minimum, Poole and Iggy definitely should just test the waters to see what scouts want them to improve upon for next season if they don’t stay in the draft.

1 Like

:thinking: I did. No one listened. I stated both DJ Wilson and Duncan were NBA Players. I’m sure many laughed at those statements at the time I posted them. :man_shrugging:t4::joy::rofl::sweat_smile::shushing_face:

Sam Vecenie’s NBA MOCK DRAFT 2.0

He has Poole #35, Matthews #50 and Iggy not rated.

35. Atlanta Hawks — Jordan Poole, Michigan

So far in the Schlenk era, the Hawks have really valued getting floor spacing. Poole is a terrific shooter who can create as a secondary ball-handler out of pick-and-roll. He also has an innate understanding of spacing from having worked in Michigan’s scheme. Defense is a real worry with Poole, but he has the look of an interesting back-up scorer once he irons out his consistency.

This is pretty unbelievable to me. Frankly, I have to wonder if this guy has ever seen Iggy play. The truth is, I disagree with his placement of Charles and JP, too, but I’ll not get into that discussion.
EDIT: Hmmm…I guess I got into a discussion of JP below. :smiley:

1 Like

Reading that makes me depressed because if he actually did all those things in that write up (and he has done all those things at one time or another), we would be a much better team. We are crying out for another guy that can run the offense with the ball in his hands and who can understand spacing and not drive into a wall and pop off a long two.

I hope he stays because I think he can develop into the player we need alongside Simpson. Was hoping for that jump this year, but expectations were maybe a bit too high.

4 Likes

I usually wrong about this stuff but I have a hard time seeing JP in the NBA.

1 Like

I’ll just simply say, Sam’s write up describes the true potential of JP. And, yes, we have seen that Jordan Poole from time to time and certainly those elements at different times during the year, if not always together in the same game. So If that’s the JP we get during the tournament, along with our other pieces, we’re going to have a fun ride. I’m not saying that JP would carry us to the national championship or even to the Final Four, but I think we’d go a long way.

I, too, would like to see JP return for one more year. I hope he LOVES playing college basketball with his roommate, Isaiah, and his other teammates. I hope he knows that he can get better, and that our coaching staff can definitely help with that process. But what I hope for doesn’t matter. I guess what I really just hope is he makes the right decision for him when the time comes, AND that he’s really not even thinking about it right now. Still a lot of basketball to be played! :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t. I DO think he has the potential to be the player Sam described. I think he has that in him. For his sake and ours, I sure hope he plays like the player Sam sees him as during the tournament and beyond.