NBA Draft Projections & Mock Drafts 2019

From the outside looking in, they seem like opposites. X is like a K-9 officer German Shepherd and Poole is a lab who wants to play with the ball in the yard.

2 Likes

Everyone is assuming he is welcome back. I think Poole and Michigan needed to go in different directions.

Why wouldn’t he be welcome back? By all accounts, he seems like a great kid. I’m sure there may be some disagreements about things with the coaches, but that’s normal and wouldn’t be a reason to not be welcome back, especially when he is needed.

6 Likes

of course hes welcome back. WTF are you talking about?

6 Likes

You’re using the past tense, presumably being careful. Here’s hoping you know whereof you speak because otherwise this is a bit iffy, IMHO.

I never said he wasn’t a great kid. From everything I know, he is a really nice kid. Most of Beilien’s players are. Sometimes it is quite obvious to everyone involved that it isn’t a good fit. Let me ask you some questions. Do you think Poole and Simpson are on the same page? If you saw interviews and comments by both players, I think they were not (this was highlighted by Simpson saying no more “my bads” during a team meeting and then Poole stating in an interview that he isn’t the only one making mistakes). Do you think this team had a strong chemistry? Did Nick Baumgartner tweet “Jordan Poole is coming for every hair left on Beilien’s head”? There were a lot of bread crumbs dropped over the last few months. I am just suggesting that maybe it is the best to move in a different direction.

Bob has pretty good connections. I doubt he is just throwing out jibberish. Beilein has taken some indirect shots in my opinion by the Step Back U comments, so while I doubt it is impossible to wprk whatever the clash of personalities that may be there, it wouldn’t surprise me if they agree to disagree and part ways.

1 Like

Cheers. And I haz a sad, as the kids say.

1 Like

indirect or not, its as much a commentary on individuals as it as the zeitgeist of the game. kids wanna be james harden but forget hardern has a mid range and get to the hoop game outside of the traveling step back nonsense.

and if you can’t handle JB saying there’s more to offense than step back threes, then you need to toughen up. there is more to offense than that

but disagree they go different directions, you don’t give up on a kid and trying to make him better

I thought the same thing about the Stepback U comment myself. Who else could he have meant?

Quick question as I am new to this site…Is there a private message function? If I click on a users name and see the envelope is that a PM?

1 Like

Click someone’s name then click message

2 Likes

Not beating around the bush, the tense around your language suggests that Poole’s decision is made and that he is parting ways with the program. Is that correct?

Why are we assuming that Anthony Wright, who played at a time the only current staffer was John Beilein himself, knows a thing?

2 Likes

Chris Hunter was working for the program when Ant was still a player too. I think he has connections within the program. It’s just his opinion and I think it’s way off base as transferring doesn’t make sense. Quicker path to NBA would be staying at Michigan vs transferring.

5 Likes

Yeah man, I just don’t know. I have a hard time thinking that our Director of Ops is talking to a decade-long wannabe gadfly with a new podcast.

To be clear: I think his diagnosis of the basic basketball situation (who has the ball in his hands) makes sense. I don’t lend any credence to the idea Poole is transferring.

1 Like

umbob1 has always provided solid insight into Michigan sports. JP to me resembles Kyle Kalis and/or others from the offensive line years ago that was supposed to be really good. In the end, they had trouble communicating and never really jelled. Now in retrospect, the Oline coach might have been part of the issue, but JP’s body language over the past month or two has not been positive. I have been concerned. I think he is a great talent. Even coach made the comment about his dry spell, when he said, “You wouldn’t believe what we see in practice”, hence he thought JP would break out of his slump.

I wish the kid the best!

At the risk of being too sappy, my heart goes out to Jordan, who went from such glory to third option on the team. Watch his high school tapes or remember him taking it to the hoop on a couple of darting plays this year and you know he is highly capable.

I see some fans dismissing the negativity by saying you need to be tough or downplaying it, and to an extent it’s true–hard lesson for Jordan but there are a multitude of idiots out there, and they often think their fandom is license for a certain kind of abuse.

But I ALSO know that if the criticism is bothering ME as an onlooker, it might just sting like hell for a rather good-natured and appealing kid of 19 and his cat.

Hope that they work this thing out.

8 Likes

I think it would be great for both parties if JP returned to Michigan. I think he needs to get better before trying to get to the NBA. I think he needs to gain strength, improve his handle and become a consistent threat. He has the capability. I also believe that if he came back and worked harder than he has ever worked this off season, it would do him and the program wonders. Maybe all parties will see this over the coming weeks and move forward toward this happening. Never say never

3 Likes