My Observations From the Open Practice

(Edit: Alejandro just posted video from the practice so you can just watch that and see if you agree).

I had the chance to attend the open practice at 6:00 today, and I would simply like to share some observations about most of the players. The format was 30 minutes of drills of various sorts, and then the last 30 minutes was a scrimmage. Keep in mind that this one hour long practice cannot paint a full picture of what a player is going to be like during the season, and that I can’t see everything and might have missed something that somebody else that was there caught. If that is the case, feel free to share it in the thread!

Zak Irvin: To be honest, I don’t think he did anything differently than one might expect. He shot, and did it well. During the scrimmage, he didn’t take any two pointers. On defense, he was solid, and didn’t get blatantly beaten during his time on the floor. Really nothing else to say about him, and I still expect him to be mostly a 3 point shooter.

Caris LeVert: Caris was similar to Zak, in that he didn’t attack the basket much and we didn’t run the offense through him, but it was clear that we were just giving other players opportunities as it was still a practice. He did nail a clutch three pointer in the scrimmage, and looked to have more vertical hops in the drills. Another positive is that his defensive instincts seem to have improved. He had a lot of tips that could have been steals with some luckier bounces.

Derrick Walton: He had the ball in his hands a lot more in the scrimmage than he did last year, and he made some nice drives and dishes for open threes. His court vision has improved, and he looks stronger and more athletic. He still has the problem of stepping into his shots with a foot on the 3 point line to make it a statistically poor long mid-range shot. He too, along with Irvin and Levert, didn’t try to create much. I won’t post anything about his defense here, as he was facing Dakich mostly.

Kam Chatman: Here’s where things start getting good. Chatman, both during the drills and in the scrimmage, was on fire from deep, nailing numerous 3 pointers from the corner, which appears to be “his shot.” In my opinion, his vertical athleticism has been underestimated as well, as he showed several times with nice alley-oop finishes. His defense was solid, although nothing special. Didn’t create any shots off the dribble, and I wouldn’t expect him to much this year. He had an open lane to the right but went left into traffic, a sign that he needs to work on his right handed layups and ball handling.

Mark Donnal: Donnal definitely had his good moments during the drills, but he struggled in the scrimmage, missing 3 layups, although they were challenging. He looked fairly athletic for a during drills. He was a little bit lost on offense, as I noticed spacing errors and bizarre pick locations. He didn’t take any mid-range shots during the scrimmage, and we never even tried a pick and pop with him, but I noticed during the drills he was making a decent amount of them. Defense Rebounding appears to be an issue, as Max Bielfeldt got numerous offensive rebounds against him in the 3 on 3 drill.

Ricky Doyle: Interesting to say the least. He had a great roll of of a pick which led to a powerful dunk, but other than that, he didn’t make much of an impact. People are excited about his post play, something Beilein hasn’t had since he’s been at Michigan, but Doyle got only 2 post touches, and neither went well. In the first, he got the ball just below the elbow, and after the first 2 passes got denied, he awkwardly pivoted around for about 7 or 8 seconds until he passed it and it got deflected out of bounds. Next he got the ball at the low post, pump faked, and immediately got the ball stripped and stolen. He definitely needs to work on this as right now I would NOT trust him with post moves in a game. Rebounding he was mostly a non factor, with no Offensive boards, and defensively, he was solid, but against poor competition.

DJ Wilson: DJ was actually a very nice surprise. First of all, he is far more athletic than I would have thought, and he definitely uses this defensively, getting a fantastic block in the 3 on 3 drill. He had a nice spin move and mini-hook shot and it rimmed out, but if he could get that shot down it could be a real weapon. He has much better lateral agility than he did in the film from high school, and I could see him as a huge asset in fast breaks. Also, he used his athleticism in rebounding, which is something that can be used for put backs and such. Although he is mostly known as a defensive enforcer, I can see big things on offense too in his future, especially with some more muscle.
Side note: He had a chance to shoot free throws with the game tied and less than 30 seconds left and he missed both of them.

Aubrey Dawkins: Dawkins continued to surprise me with stellar outside shooting to go along with his insane athleticism. In both the scrimmage AND drills he knocked them down, even with a hand in his face. I think that he might be the biggest surprise in the Big Ten, and I see him as a legitimate 6th man if he can get a little bit better lateral agility for defense. Expect him to fill a GRIII type roll for this year though, as he doesn’t have the ability to create his own shot off the bounce yet.

Spike: I don’t have much to say about Spike, and I think that he will be about the same as last year, a solid backup point guard who can shoot and won’t turn it over. He did have a couple nice drives finishing with passes for open shots. Defensively he wasn’t great, but he didn’t make any obvious mistakes.

MAAR: MAAR was interesting, as he really wasn’t used much in the scrimmage, so the only offensive look that I got of him was in the drills. It is very obvious that his shooting is something that needs to be worked on, and until then I see him as a poor man’s Dwayne Wade, not in terms of skill, but just style of play. I’m guessing he’s going to be solid in the pick and roll if he can improve his court vision, and he won’t be taking many outside shots. He has defensive potential, but it is raw.

Max Bielfeldt: Surprised me a bit. He seems to be working very hard for a spot in the rotation, and it is showing, as he beat Donnal multiple times for offensive rebounds and put back layups, where he made both of them. He is still undersized for the 5 though, and that is simply not going to change, and with Donnal, Doyle, and DJ all at the 5, I don’t expect much more playing time this year than he had last year.

Duncan Robinson: He was definitely underwhelming, and he forced a few threes in the scrimmage that might have been alright shots if he was the best player on the team as he used to be, but were far too early in the shot clock. He did struggle a bit on defense, especially when there was a pick set on him. He made a few layups in the drills and didn’t do much in the scrimmage in terms of shooting off of screens, curls, etc. I think he is just going to be a spot up shooter without much else, as MattD said, but if he can do it while shooting at least 40% from deep, I’ll be ok with that. It’s good that he’ll have the year off to improve his game.

Just going by the 5 minute video on mgoblog, I got similar impressions of the bigs as you did. Just based off that video, my rotation would be 1) Wilson 2) Bielfeldt 3) Donnal 4) Doyle (RS likely, game is wayyyy too fast for him right now). Wilson looked fantastic, Doyle and Donnal did not look good. May be overrating Wilson due to his competition, but I’d be shocked if he’s not starting by B1G play.

Hope Chatman and Dawkins keep shooting it well, that will be important.

I agree! Although Wilson is still very skinny for the 5, I just don’t think that neither Doyle nor Donnal are ready for the level of competition that the Big Ten offers, which makes it imperative to get both of them decent minutes when we face the terrible teams in the non-conference schedule.

I attended as well - overall observations are 1) rebounding is going to be a BIG issue in my view 2) Wilson looks MUCH better on the perimeter as opposed to finishing; biggest problem is he always attempts to fade away from the basket rather than using his length/verticality; in other words he is soft 3) our backcourt is going to be very good 4) Irvin is nothing but a shooter 5) Chatman has made significant strides athletically 5) Dawkins has very good form but slightly low release; his shot is really consistent though, even when he misses it isn’t by much 6) Robinson is really going to struggle defensively and wasn’t all that impressed with him offensively

I’m not worried about Irvin as ‘just a shooter’… Think this team needs that and with Derrick, Caris and Kam around him he’ll get plenty of shots. He’s still just a shooter, but a more athletic version of his freshman-self is a pretty valuable player.

Wow MattD, I agree 100% with everything you said. I didn’t notice the fading away thing from Wilson, so that’s going to be something that I pay attention to. The vast majority of Irvin’s 2 pointers will be on fast breaks this year IMO, and he most likely won’t create his own offense much, if at all, which is fine with me, as I believe that we have a sufficient amount of playmakers already.

Wow MattD, I agree 100% with everything you said. I didn't notice the fading away thing from Wilson, so that's going to be something that I pay attention to. The vast majority of Irvin's 2 pointers will be on fast breaks this year IMO, and he most likely won't create his own offense much, if at all, which is fine with me, as I believe that we have a sufficient amount of playmakers already.

I witnessed the same hook shot you did, he missed because he fades, which essentially means he’s off balance. He doesn’t have enough strength in his core at this point to make that shot against B10 defenders.

As I’ve said, just shooter Irvin this year is fine, just shooter Irvin next year without Dozier/Brown ((which is likely) then you’ve got problems. I hate to say this, but im cringing at a lineup that starts Irvin and Robinson side by side after what I witnessed tonight.

As I've said, just shooter Irvin this year is fine, just shooter Irvin next year without Dozier/Brown ((which is likely) then you've got problems. I hate to say this, but im cringing at a lineup that starts Irvin and Robinson side by side after what I witnessed tonight.

Doubt that will happen, 2-4 will be MAAR-Irvin-Chatman. If Irvin stays just a shooter, then MAAR and Chatman have to pan out and be creators.

Doubt very much we’d see Irvin and Robinson start together next year. Assuming LeVert leaves and Irvin stays, Irvin and Dawkins starting and Robinson off the bench is much more likely.

As I've said, just shooter Irvin this year is fine, just shooter Irvin next year without Dozier/Brown ((which is likely) then you've got problems. I hate to say this, but im cringing at a lineup that starts Irvin and Robinson side by side after what I witnessed tonight.

Doubt that will happen, 2-4 will be MAAR-Irvin-Chatman. If Irvin stays just a shooter, then MAAR and Chatman have to pan out and be creators.

Hypothetically, let’s say Walton experiences a huge jump and gets good enough to go pro. That most likely pushes Spike to the starting PG spot. My opinion of Chatman is that he won’t be a creator, and that he will be great at slashing and getting open, so that leaves just MAAR as a creator. I don’t know about you, but I would be worried about a lineup of Spike, MAAR, Irvin, Chatman, and a 5. Of course that’s all hypothetical though, as I think Walton won’t make the jump to the NBA, although there is still much to learn with the season not underway yet.

More random thoughts -

I initially thought that Dawkins would be the 6th man this year and least likely to RS - today confirmed that for me. He is by far the best of our incoming freshman other than Kam right now.

Wilson - biggest attribute right now is either help side D or perimeter ball handling against bigger players. His shot is not what you would like at this point, he’s a below average shooter. Lateral movement has improved, but he looks slow in terms of straight line speed. Wilson is an odd situation, he’s essentially a 3 that is too slow/laterally challenged to guard other 3s, but has absolutely zero post game or strength to play the post. The signals to me that he’s a project at this point. Honestly, Wilson would be a much better fit for a transition heavy team where he can use his verticality. I know some think he should start at the 5, but that would offer zero resistance to the likes of Kaminsky, Costello, Hammons, Olsani…those guys would eat him alive this year

Kam - man his body and movement has really transformed, looks much more agile. Better shooter than given credit for. Think he will be a decent contributor this year.

Donnal - his picks are horrendous, he’s just so tentative out there. Looks terrified to be honest about it. He has no confidence

Doyle - looks gangly and uncoordinated at times. Much more assertive than Donnal, but lacks the fluidity of Donnal. Does set a really nice screen though. If you could combine Rick’s grit with Donnal’s athleticism we might have a decent player

It’s pretty obvious that there are major question marks with all three big men, but the good news is that there are three. Suspect they’ll be played situationally (both based on opponent as well as just who is playing a good game) throughout the year.

The good news is that Walton, LeVert, Irvin and Chatman appears to be a pretty strong core.

I wasn’t there, hard to get down there from the U.P., but from the looks of the MGoBlog video, the 7 man rotation will be Walton, Spike, LeVert, Irvin, Chatman, Donnal, and Doyle. It look as if the Blue Team was the 7 man rotation while the Yellow team was the “bench”.

More random thoughts -

Wilson - biggest attribute right now is either help side D or perimeter ball handling against bigger players. His shot is not what you would like at this point, he’s a below average shooter. Lateral movement has improved, but he looks slow in terms of straight line speed. Wilson is an odd situation, he’s essentially a 3 that is too slow/laterally challenged to guard other 3s, but has absolutely zero post game or strength to play the post. The signals to me that he’s a project at this point. Honestly, Wilson would be a much better fit for a transition heavy team where he can use his verticality. I know some think he should start at the 5, but that would offer zero resistance to the likes of Kaminsky, Costello, Hammons, Olsani…those guys would eat him alive this year

Well yea but who else are you gonna start at the 5? Wilson’s length will be tough for guards to deal with when they get to the rim. He’ll get beaten up on the boards and he won’t give you much on offense, but neither will Doyle or Donnal. I don’t see how Wilson isn’t starting by B1G play.

It's pretty obvious that there are major question marks with all three big men, but the good news is that there are three. Suspect they'll be played situationally (both based on opponent as well as just who is playing a good game) throughout the year.

The good news is that Walton, LeVert, Irvin and Chatman appears to be a pretty strong core.

I agree, with those 4 we have huge potential, but I think where we land in the big ten, from as high as 2nd to as low as 6th or 7th, all depends on if 1 of the 3 big men pan out and can make an immediate impact on the rebounding and defensive sides. Offensively, it is pretty obvious to me that none of them are ready, especially given how close the season is, but defense and rebounding is all I ask for out of our centers.

Agree with Dylan, no way possible that either Doyle or Donnal are pegged in as a starter. It’s basically an open tryout and will most likely be so for the foreseeable future until one breaks through, or more likely, is just serviceable.

I wasn't there, hard to get down there from the U.P., but from the looks of the MGoBlog video, the 7 man rotation will be Walton, Spike, LeVert, Irvin, Chatman, Donnal, and Doyle. It look as if the Blue Team was the 7 man rotation while the Yellow team was the "bench".

I disagree. I would definitely put Dawkins in the top 7.

Hypothetically, let’s say Walton experiences a huge jump and gets good enough to go pro. That most likely pushes Spike to the starting PG spot. My opinion of Chatman is that he won’t be a creator, and that he will be great at slashing and getting open, so that leaves just MAAR as a creator. I don’t know about you, but I would be worried about a lineup of Spike, MAAR, Irvin, Chatman, and a 5. Of course that’s all hypothetical though, as I think Walton won’t make the jump to the NBA, although there is still much to learn with the season not underway yet.

I think if Walton leaves then I think MAAR would start at the point. You just can’t have Spike playing defense more than 10 minutes a game. If Chatman and MAAR can’t create, we’re in trouble…which is why taking Duncan Robinson doesn’t sit well with me.

To those proclaiming in the season projections thread that we’re going to make the final 4 or win 28 games, win 13-15 games in the big ten…im taking bets in whatever amount you would like. I projected 22 wins/10 in the big ten. After viewing tonight’s practice I think we’re more likely to win 20/8 and barely squeeze in the tourney. The frontline is a MAJOR concern. Also, for those thinking we will improve on D…yeah we’ll see about that