Michigan Non-Revenue Sports 2022-23 (and '24!)

Haven’t looked at the population pyramids but my guess is that the young pops are significantly worse than the overall pops

2 Likes

Beyond the pale of the convo here

But I’ve also seen, to be fair to the weather argument, lots of these teams from florida and California in the 12/13 age cohorts selecting for size (at Cooperstown last year we played a team in 12u whose smallest kid was 5’9”), and at these ages timing of growth spurts can make huge impacts that may be somewhat transitory (oh wow your 6’1” 13 year old is tossing 65 mph while our 5’6” kid is at 55 mph wow), and definitely have, shall we say, a cavalier attitude for arm health (at 11u we played a team whose starter threw 105 pitches, at least half curves)

1 Like

also Bakich himself pointed out the season is not fair to Midwest schools and wanted it pushed back 1-2 months.

3 Likes

the Midwest is the Christian Anderson of baseball, I feel you

2 Likes

Well, I think all this profane language actually did become fashionable with “Gone With the Wind,” but, frankly…I don’t give a frackle! And I just think it, well, ah, STINKS! Hey, that’s the word you used! Wait a minute, are you, in actuality, Gary Abernathy?!? :rofl:

2 Likes

Michigan had five home weekends this past season, and Clemson had eight.

1 Like

I think Bud Middaugh also got in trouble for paying players.

Minnesota Gophers play in the Vikings stadium. I wonder if Michigan could do the same?

Minnesota campus is a mile from the stadium, Ann Arbor to Ford Field is 42 miles

1 Like

Right. Both walking distance. I agree.

2 Likes

Johnny Appleseed over here

3 Likes

Please tell me more on how big ten baseball is not a mid major conference

Former Michigan Softballer, Audrey LeClair chose to use her Covid year at ASU, via the portal. She’s from Arizona, so this makes a lot of sense. She’s always been really nice (her dad was cool too) and brought a lot of fire to Michigan, so I wish her well but will miss her on the squad.

From what I can tell, this has been a much less active portal-year than last summer. I think some more cohesion, plus a good recruiting class, should put Michigan back towards the top of the B1G.

However, there are rumors that Oklahoma ace pitcher, Jordy Bahl, left the Sooners to play at Nebraska. She cited wanting to play near home as her reason for leaving and she’s from Nebraska. If it plays out that way, I imagine they’d be the league favorite.

UM golfer Hailey Borja has made it to the semi finals of the U.S. Women’s Am at
Bel Air CC in Los Angeles. :blue_heart:

7 Likes

I just found out that Brandon Inge’s kid is a Michigan Baseball commit.

6 Likes

Over the weekend, Michigan Field Hockey closed out the regular season with an OT win against MSU, Volleyball beat OSU, Women’s Hockey got a W, and Men’s Hockey swept some school I’ve never heard of by a combined score of 19-1.

3 Likes

I guess we should start a new thread for this season but this can put a cap on some speculation from last spring. I forget who called it but they were right:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzZc92YOj10/?igshid=ZzV2ZDljeGozZDcw

She’s a Longhorn now.

It looks like volleyball got a good one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2-KfJ6syXO/?igsh=cm5pMG04OTRoc2Zo

2 Likes

The Softball team has started off 3-1, including an upset of Florida today.

3 Likes