Michigan formally announces DeVante' Jones addition

3 Likes

Michigan really burying the lede here

Jones has been admitted to the university to pursue a master’s degree in social work, and will have immediate eligibility. Howard also announced Wolverine forward Jaron Faulds joins fellow senior Eli Brooks in taking advantage of the NCAA’s allowed year of eligibility due to COVID-19.

5 Likes

Did anyone else notice that in the very last paragraph, the press release referenced “Smith” rather than “Jones.” I’d say that’s a bit of a gaffe on the part of a big time athletic department’s communications team. Hopefully someone catches it soon, before the Jones team notices it, and before too many folks read this press release!

2 Likes

Prob just a low key shout out to their fave Silver Jews song

3 Likes

Overall, he had 23 double-figure scoring games, including a career-best 35 against Alice Lloyd

???

“Smith and Jones Forever.”

I had never heard of Silver Jews so I looked them up. Their song “Smith and Jones Forever” attempts to answer the question, “Are you honest when no one’s lookin’?” and looks to compare the ideal of the Smiths and the Jones’ with the reality of life.

This is not MY fave band and I wonder if anyone in the Athletic Department at Michigan’s communications department would list this as their favorite song. Perhaps. David Berman, it seems had a pretty strained relationship with the “press.” From the sound of the crowd at the conclusion of this song it seems David Berman and the band DID have a loyal and somewhat boisterous following but they are not considered one of the great, or even really good or popular bands of the '90’s. Like everything else, though, folks like what they like and, to each his/her own. In this case “fave” is in the ear of the listener, so give it a listen. “Smith and Jones Forever” by the Silver Jews:

1 Like

Pavement spin-off band, correct? Stephen Malkmus side project?

1 Like

Yes! Extra characters.

Malkmus had a lot of involvement and contributes that great guitar sound but David Berman was the primary creative force. Fascinating guy, poet w a depressive streak (if you can believe it) but his lyrics really are evocative.

And, yeah, this is also me outing myself as a Pitchfork-obsessed early millennial who spent a ton of time going through the albums of pretty much every major 90’s indie rock act they loved.

2 Likes

This post warms my soul

2 Likes

Sadly, tragically, he committed suicide, I believe. I’ve read some of his lyrics, and listened to some of his music now, and he writes some dark stuff but it’s REAL. He was sort of his own guy, wasn’t he. He wasn’t playing to the “popular” crowd, but he certainly had a loyal following. I am guessing you were one of those. My wife and I love all kinds of music but I had really never heard of Silver Jews until you referenced them. Right now we’re really into Coldplay. Love Chris Martin and his band. Just this past Tuesday night we heard the terrific Michigan (

Edit: Sorry guys, I meant to send this via private message to colin but mistakenly put it on the main forum page.

2 Likes

English degree whose friends were all either RC or co-op kids at UM so, lol, yeah Berman was up my alley.

1 Like