Michigan Campus and Basketball Facilities

My son and I (he’s 7), are making a trip from Orlando and visiting my family in Sterling Hts. My son has watched every game with me for the last 2yrs and has never been to Michigans campus. Can anyone recommend sports places to go on campus and does anyone know if the Big House and/or Crisler is open to walk through?

Not sure if anything will be open (maybe a random gate you happen to walk through if lucky), but definitely walking around the outside concourse area around Big House and Crisler would be cool. I think you can also see the new scoreboard being constructed. You could also try the Hockey/Baseball area. Those places are bunched up close. Again, I’m not 100% sure what’s open or what you could see from the outside but maybe walk around Crisler and Big House or see if Yost or the baseball/softball fields are unlocked?

My guess is Crisler will be locked up and the big house will have a gate left open you might be able to go through :crossed_fingers:t3: I wouldn’t count on that though lol

Also, great parenting starting the Michigan brainwashing early! I really think my Dad doing that on me really helped put me ahead in life :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the response.

1 Like

When I was a kid, you could walk into the Big House and play on the field. I actually had my first ACL blowout when my cleat got stuck in the ground while making a cut on the practice field.

I think those days are long gone…as are my knees.

2 Likes

This is a shot in the dark idea but you may try searching University of Michigan Athletics on on LinkedIn and see if you can find an email address for someone. Especially someone who has a PR or social or communications type job who may be receptive. Or if you can’t find an email address, send them a message on LinkedIn or whatever socials they may use.

Tell them your story and you may never hear back or you may get a receptive response or pointed in the right direction.

3 Likes

Certainly worth it to take him if only to see and walk around the outside of Crisler and the Big House. Both will likely be locked and not accessible to enter.

The idea of emailing some people in the athletic department is a good one but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

2 Likes

Looks like the athletic department offers tours. https://facilityrentals.ath.umich.edu/index.php/facility-tours/

1 Like

I think it is very easy to sneak into the big house as I don’t believe every entrance is locked down with a hard gate, but I could be wrong there. I know that famously people sneak in there all the time, so presumably there is some way.

Crisler, no way you’re getting in without an official tour.

3 Likes

Just be sure to watch out for the tunnel- I hear it’s dangerous in there!

4 Likes

I would also try to get into the swimming pool, hockey rink, Ferry Field, and the multitude of sports fields on State Street

1 Like

In the very old days of the 80s and early 90s that was true but those days are longgggg gone. No chance you can just walk into athletic facility now.

As long as there are no Spartans around you’ll be fine. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve walked down the tunnel a couple of times, and was never attacked. Your theory seems to have validity.

1 Like