Matt Ryan

He has consistently mentioned UM for awhile.

GREENBURGH, N.Y. — Matt Ryan is on the shelf following hip surgery, but he’s still focused on his recruitment.

The 6-foot-6 2015 small forward from Iona Prep told SNY.tv he’s focusing on six schools and that Notre Dame remains the “strong favorite.”

“I’m not saying an official list but I’m mainly talking to Duke, Carolina, Notre Dame, Michigan, Stanford and Marquette,” he told SNY.tv. at the Frankie Williams Charity Classic. “Those are probably the top six right now and I’m still in contact with Arizona State and Creighton.”

Michigan coach John Beilein called and told Ryan he compares to outgoing guard Nik Stauskas, a projected first-round pick.

“That’s all I hear, Stauskas, Stauskas, so that’s a big attraction,” Ryan said.

Ryan admits it’s been frustrating not being able to play.

“It’s been tough but I know I’m going to come back much better,” he said. “I can already feel improvements in my flexibility, range of motion, stuff like that.”

After July, he plans to take his visits and go from there.

“I want to take all five official visits and make a decision after that,” he said.

Kid is clearly an elite shooter, but there isn’t much fluidity to his movements and I doubt that gets better with hip surgery (although I’m not a doctor, so what do I know). Also, unless the guy making the highlight reel hates dribbling and passing, I’m sure Ryan falls far short from Stauskas in that category (and I’m comparing to Stauskas pre-senior year, not Stauskas B1G POY). With that said, clearly a 6’6" guy with his shooting ability could definitely succeed under Beilein.