Kameron Chatman could also be deciding this week

Arizona likely in a good position but Michigan still has an in-home. We’ll try to get an update.

Arizona sites are high on their chances:
https://twitter.com/UofAPointGuardU/status/384739422375116802

Lengthy update with his dad at Scout http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1331461.html

So refresh me, did he get to Oregon and Arizona? I still think Arizona is likely the favorite, but it would be interesting to know if he made all his visits.

Edit: I see now that he made all four of his officials. Michigan, Oregon, USC, and Arizona.

Some more Arizona smoke

https://twitter.com/UofAPointGuardU/status/384745068860432384

Well, before the weekend conventional wisdom was that it was a win if Chatman didn’t commit to AZ while he was there. Now we have one AZ site with it’s three separate tweets all saying the same thing within 20 minutes of each other and Garrett Tucker, who seems to have made a name for himself by simply repeating stuff he’s “heard.”

Clearly the winds don’t seem to be blowing particularly in UM’s favor, but if UM still gets an in-home then these tweets don’t do much to dampen my (somewhat limited but still in existence) enthusiasm.

Arizona has always been the school to worry about with the Damon Stoudemire connection. I think Michigan has done a really good job, just not sure if it’ll be enough.

At Arizona, Chatman would compete for 80 minutes at the 2-3 positions (with Nick Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, and potentially 2 of Rashad Vaughn, Stanley Johnson, and Justise Winslow - a 5-man battle for 2 spots). At Michigan, he’d likely compete with Mark Donnal and another freshman for 40 minutes at the 4 and potentially could earn PT at 2 or 3 - battling with LeVert, Stauskas, Irvin, and possibly another freshman - 7 players for 3 positions. If it was just about playing time, I can see why it would be a tough decision. That’s why I think he should throw playing time out of the decision-making, focusing on education, coaches, teammates, development for NBA.

I’m trying to come to terms with the fact that we won’t land ALL these guys.

I just wish we had about 8-9 scholarship openings haha

geoffclarke “At Michigan, he’d likely compete with Mark Donnal and another freshman for 40 minutes at the 4.”

How do you figure Chatman as a 4? He is a 2 or a small 3.

Chatman could play 1,2,3,4 to varying degrees in my opinion. Depends on his development and the pieces around him.

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that we won't land ALL these guys.

I just wish we had about 8-9 scholarship openings haha

We have several scholarship spots available for this coming year or really any year the coaches decide to use them because of all the walk-ons they current have, the kids who left early for the NBA, and the ones who will leave early for the NBA. However, the open scholarships are not the problem. It is the fact that we have not had very much success getting commitments from the kids we have targeted. So your statement, “I’m trying to come to terms with the fact that we won’t land ALL these guys” is extremely wishful thinking on your part. We should be concerned that we won’t land any of the 4-5 star targets. And finally, I don’t think the coaches should or would use all the scholarships that they have available on some low 2-3 star recruits. I think and hope they will save them for next season.

How do you figure Chatman as a 4? He is a 2 or a small 3.

(1) I think he’d be a big college 2 and an average-sized high major college 3.
(2) The 4 at Michigan is very similar in offensive role to the 3, except spending the majority of the time on the other side of the court.
(3) He’s left-handed, which would make him more suited for our 4 than 3.
(4) While he’d be similar in size to the 2s and 3s on our roster (Stauskas, Irvin, LeVert), he’s a bit taller, has a stronger lower body, and likely a better rebounder than those.
(5) If we get either of Booker or Blackmon (which I’m still hopeful for), Chatman will have his best chance at playing time at the 4.
(6) Finally, if we miss on both Booker and Blackmon, I could easily see Chatman on the wing as a 2 or 3, to go along with two of Grantham, Wilson, and Bolden. He’s that versatile and I believe would earn playing time ahead of a junior LeVert. However, with Michigan’s interest in Bess as a backup plan for Booker and Blackmon, I’ve got to believe that Chatman is being recruited as a 3/4 combo rather than a 2/3 combo.