Juwan Howard undergoes heart procedure

22 Likes

Praying for a speedy recovery

1 Like

Liked to hear that ahead of schedule news there.

2 Likes

It feels pretty trivial to focus on hoops when dealing with something this serious, but the timelines here are worth noting.

The release said:

Patel indicated that Howard is expected to fully recover in six to 12 weeks and could return to the program in four to six weeks.

The 4 to 6 weeks to “return to the program” would put him at October 14th – coincidentally when U-M is reportedly scheduled to host Edgecombe, Sutton and Moreno for visits.

Practice starts next week, so Howard is clearly going to be absent for a significant chunk of preseason practices.

Six weeks puts you around October 28th… A few days before the exhibition game on Nov. 3rd with the opener on the 7th.

12 weeks takes you to December 8th, which is missing a month of the season.

Michigan has obviously been through this before two years ago with Martelli stepping into an interim role, but it is a pretty significant shake up for the preseason, compared to if it had taken place 6 weeks ago.

9 Likes

Best wishes to Juwan during this recovery period. Happy that everything went well (and that it was caught).

This is also the reason that bringing in Martelli has been invaluable. The best thing Howard could have done when hired. Having an experienced former head guy to step in - especially with a young/transfer laden team will hopefully keep us on the right track.

3 Likes

Wasn’t quite sure where to put this, but with media day tomorrow…

Seems like this story of Juwan and his heart procedure isn’t getting enough attention. The release said he would be out 4-6 weeks, which puts us roughly at the end of October. Per Warde, no one on the staff is supposed to bother him with basketball stuff, as his health and recovery should the the first priority, rightfully so.

Will he come back with a limited schedule? Will he have any cardiac precautions, or stuff he shouldn’t do? What if he has complications and the timetable is longer?

Obviously his recovery is the first goal plain and simple, but there are tons of things beyond that affect a lot of people that no one really knows as the season is a few weeks away….

2 Likes

It said this, FWIW:

Patel indicated that Howard is expected to fully recover in six to 12 weeks and could return to the program in four to six weeks.

Gotcha. I knew I saw something about 4-6 weeks.

Just seems like this story is largely gone under the radar that the HC at Michigan could be not coaching the first 6 weeks of the season.

Just don’t think anyone really knows right now. I’m sure it will be asked about tomorrow when Saddi is at Big Ten Media Day.

1 Like

My first thought was, “well he’s about that age where you start having these sorts of issues.”

My second was, “he was a Sophomore when I was a Freshman.”

4 Likes

….Juwan’s peloton page shows him doing a 30 minute ride today with low metrics, probably working on controlling his heart rate…

This is the sleuthing I need.

16 Likes

Please report back further updates

2 Likes

Michigan football might hire you to do sleuthing of other teams. Send in your resume.

1 Like

Too soon… :cry: