Juwan Howard ‘not exploring, seeking or listening’ to NBA interest

31 Likes

Too much to unpack here. Strictly results driven in the near term, I would probably lean Beilein. But I think given his age, he’s only coaching a few more years anyway. NBA jobs are a threat, but there’s also the possibility of Howard staying here for a long haul.

Beilein was clearly burnt out of recruiting and the annual roster turnover, not sure you want that type of guy coming back in his late 60s.

2 Likes

Juwan Howard chose to be here. John Beilein chose to leave.

12 Likes

If Juwan says he won’t seek, explore or listen to the NBA. I believe him. Go Blue to a true blue Wolverine. Just remember his emotion at his intro presser.

4 Likes

this is pretty dope

13 Likes

Anybody know what his buy-out is?

It doesn’t matter what his buyout is. He’s not going to the NBA. Can you smell what the Rock is cooking?

1 Like

$5 million and decreases by $1 million every season thereafter.

Love Howard. How nice is it to have a guy who truly loves Michigan and within hours puts out a statement that strong.

5 Likes

Hard to take a clip from a movie about a guy convicted of securities fraud without a grain of salt. Facts.

1 Like

Love JB but I think he should probably call it a career at this point.

1 Like

Exactly what ESPN did at the beginning of Coach Harbaugh’s tenure at Michigan. I’m sure some recruits are listening to other programs as they use this against the Michigan coaches. It’s a broken record from the mega sports media, pathetic and sad they attack the B1G schools like they do.

1 Like

I don’t think this is nearly as malicious as some of you guys are hinting. Juwan Howard was in the NBA forever and has been interviewed for multiple HC jobs the last couple of offseasons. Seems pretty rational that he’d be on NBA teams’ lists as they start to look at things. That’s all Woj reported.

3 Likes

No mention of Jay Wright from Villanova fom what I noticed that’s also being mentioned for the NBA.

1 Like

Woj’s prime information source is agents, and always has been - there’s a tit for tat with that: he gets fed pieces of info, but it’s information agents want him to spread, and he does it to keep the pipelines open.

What I’m saying is this: there is a non-zero chance that this is a PR dump from Howard’s agent to keep his name relevant in NBA circles. I’m sure somebody somewhere made a phone call to Howard’s team, just as I’m sure Izzo probably gets a call annually - as a responsible front office you at least ask the question.

Also, frankly, it gives him the ability to publicly deny his interest - always good red meat for the fan base!

12 months into taking the job I’d be shocked if it’s more than that.

2 Likes

Learned “______ for tat” will trip the profanity filters!

1 Like

I highly doubt that it was Howard’s agent. It’s not like he’s been gone long enough to fade from NBA discussions, he had 3 interviews just last year.

I dunno man - it’s a perfectly engineered PR bomb. It portrays him as in-demand which is always good, and allows him to deliver a fan-friendly MICHIGAN MAN disavowal of interest.

Again - I am positive that at least one of the 30 front offices has him on a list.