John Beilein Coaching Influence

4 Likes

This was an awesome article

I agree DeAngelo, Adam, thanks for posting. We are blessed by having many talented writers covering Michigan Basketball.

We are doubly blessed by the coach leading them being such a good subject for said articles.

I’ve always been a Michigan fan. Grew up there. Spent falls at the Big House, tailgates on the fairway. But, I was always way more into the UM football as a kid, even though I played basketball year round (never played football seriously).

I’m 30, so barely remember the Fab Five era. Wasn’t too inspired by what came after. John Beilein is what made me a huge Michigan hoops fan. He is a legend of the craft, and it is largely left unacknowledged.

After I entered teaching, and then coaching–I really became a JB fanatic. Aside from relating to his personal journey, I could appreciate his genius on another level as I learned about what it takes to run a program. It’s truly insane how much minutiae you need to analyze. It’s weird to feel like such a fan boy as an adult, but my admiration for him was validated by the similar feelings expressed by other coaches in this article. Glad to know I’m not that crazy.

9 Likes

Well, I’m a 71 year old fan boy! I appreciate your story, Kellen, and I appreciate that you’ve entered the greatest profession one could possibly choose.

I became enamored with Michigan Basketball back in the mid sixties during the era of Bill Buntin and Cazzie Russell. I was a Michigan Basketball fan before I became an avid, almost vicious, Michigan Football fan, even though I played a lot more football than basketball.

John Beilein is simply the greatest Michigan basketball coach ever. Frankly, I think he’s the best baskeball coach in the state of Michigan…ever! Go Blue!

3 Likes