Isaiah Livers undergoes successful surgery on right foot

I think his season displays the pros and cons.

Pro: I think anyone who observed him should be more comfortable with his ability to guard NBA wings (his shooting wasn’t in question in my mind)

Con: He’s not healthy at draft/workout time due to hurting himself in an uncompensated game, and added a check to the “is this guy injury prone?” column

2 Likes

I think he’s gone from mid-2nd round pick to undrafted. Very similar to the situation for Charles Matthews, except that Isaiah has the option to come back to school.

There is easily an argument to come back, even if it’s just so he can end a season on the court instead of what’s happened the last two years.

1 Like

I think if NIL comes into being this season (sadly, it won’t)…then you’re right. The problem with coming back now is that he gets a year older and risks another injury.

I could see him coming back, rehabbing with Michigan, going thru preseason, maybe playing in some early season games to show he’s healthy, and then opting out and/or going to a league overseas or the G-League. I don’t think there’s anything left for him to prove in college other than being healthy.

Definitely nothing left to prove but he may still have other goals.

I’m sure he could latch on to a G-League or overseas team once he’s done rehabbing post-surgery and maybe starting to earn a living is what’s most important to him. However, I do wonder if a pro team is willing to pick up the tab on his medical bills. I guess the surgery is already covered but there must be several months of physical therapy to follow. I’m assuming that’s covered if he stays at U of M.

I’m just thinking out loud here. I really haven’t a clue how that might all work.

I don’t think coming back is a good option at all. There comes a time when you have to take your chances. That time is now for Isaiah. He was looking hugely impressive until around 10 days before his injury. I think he was already feeling the stress injury a couple of weeks before he came down.

1 Like

If I had to bet, I’d say he’s going to move on. I do see the argument for staying, though.

I believe Charles Matthews still had the option to come back to school when he got injured before the draft but chose not to.

2 Likes

Did he? I just figured since he was at the combine that that ship had sailed. Maybe not.

I don’t think he did…I think he had signed with an agent and the enrollment deadline had passed to opt out.

per Givony in this BR article Matthews was considering coming back after his injuryBleacher Report