Interesting observation from tonight

I’ll add that I know for a fact Manny Harris and DeShawn Sims hung out off the court, Novak and Hardaway hung out off the court. I can’t speak for all the basketball players obviously, but I think guys are friends off the court for the most part. In football I can guarantee you are mistaken in that the vast majority of them are really good friends and hangout with eachother outside of football.

I know for a fact that all the sophomores are all really close. Zak and Derrick are really close. And Kam is really close with Zak and Derrick.

This is just based on seeing people on campus and not indicative that some people are NOT close with each other.

When you suffer together you become closer. These guys hang out all the time. They also fight like brothers. That’s just the nature of a team and sports

Not saying I don’t agree with you, but Zak’s usage is literally 1.5 times that of MAAR, so the raw numbers are going to be tainted. That being said, Zak still has a better assist rate than MAAR, but not by a huge margin.

Also, I think there is a distinction between someone that creates via a screen, and someone who creates via the bounce. One is generated independently, while the other is the screen that creates to a certain extent.

I think you are absolutely correct as it relates to UM, I think the players are EXTREMELY close because most of the guys have common personalities. I don’t think that is true for every program though.

This is the key all these stats are about opportunities. MAAR gets a ton less opportunities in a game to show what is going on with his game. That had to be taken into account

For me it just all comes down to this…at the end of the game who do I want handling the ball trying to generate offense WITHOUT A SCREEN, in an isolation scenario. I’m taking MAAR every single time

Don’t think there’s much doubt of this. Beautiful skip passes for buckets galore. Just really wonder whether he is still not 100% or just playing with minimal shooting confidence.

Dunno, he missed one down the stretch day before yesterday and Irvin has been money twice in late-game situations of late. If I’m Beilein I go with the older player.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this, actually; it’s where things like personality tests and visits come into play, right? It may speak to the odd fact that while Beilein struggles to lure a certain kind of player TO the program, those who actually play for Beilein love him and the program. I for one am good with it and hold out hope that another round of winning for the team erases doubts once and for all.

OTOH, failure to right the ship more fully could sink Beilein and his rep (deserved or undeserved) once and for all. The next couple of years certainly are critical.

No doubt Zak has hit some CLUTCH buckets the past few games, that being said Zak’s shot vs. Tulsa was off a combo down screen and stagger screen. He did not create that shot. Against NW, Zak took a dribble handoff from Derrick and then received a stagger screen from Ricky before knocking down the elbow jumper.

Point is, Zak is not a player you just say ‘give him the ball and get the hell out of his way’…MAAR is.

If I’m being honest, of course they love him. He doesn’t hold them accountable for playing hard, and certainly not on the defensive end. Additionally, a good bulk of the roster probably feels like he’s the one (or few) high-major coach that was willing to take a chance on them…because quite frankly, the offer list just wasn’t all that impressive.

Don’t think there’s a poster here who doesn’t hope that recruiting tends upward, the how is more the issue. Will be VERY interesting to see who leaves and what adjustments are made, as is being hinted everywhere.

I though maar played good. Without him creating our offense looked lost a lot imo. Surprised people thought he was playing bad

1 Like

In all seriousness, how does anyone on this board think Zak Irvin is a creator off the bounce?

Who said he is

I think JM thinks he is.

I know two people who don’t. I mean seriously.

1 Like

Yeah the notion that Zak Irvin is a creator is actually ridiculous, I tried to be PC about it earlier…but it is what it is. Just don’t understand the regression though…its perplexing

1 Like

Creator, no. A solid passer for his position? Yes. Stauskas/LeVert level passer? No. Still a solid passer from the forward position? Yes.

1 Like