Hats Off to DJ Wilson

I’m sorry, 11 points and 6 rebounds per game is simply not ‘good’ to me in light of the all the factors of basketball, defense included. Above average, yes. Good, not in my eyes. Perhaps my standards are just different than your own. To me, labeling a player of that statistical profile good, playing for a mediocre team, says more about how far the standards have dropped her in the last 3 years than anything about ridiculous…

I wonder what percent of Power 5 teams DJ would start on? Probably AT LEAST half. He is good and he’s got two more years to become great.

1 Like

So starting equates to good? Just more proof about the low standard statement. Starting means nothing in terms of quality for the overwhelming majority of teams. Simply means that you are the best available body at that particular position on a given team, but doesn’t provide a barometer for the quality of play of that given player independent of that player just being better than the guy behind him.

DJ’s EFG is second in the big ten.

Our backcourt sucks.

DJ would have one of the best EFG’s in the country if we had an average point guard.

Currently DJ is 42nd in EFG.

What about defense, does this not factor into the equation?

I’m getting the feeling that this thread was bait for slappies like me…

DJ is a good defender and getting better.

6th in big ten for blocks.

Better way to frame it…is DJ all B1G?

1 Like

DJ has played much better once the conference season started. I thought he started the regular season playing really well and then tailed off a bit. His defense was subpar but I think he has played really well on that end starting with the Wisconsin game. I would still like to see him become a better defensive rebounder. Nevertheless, In Big 10 games, he is posting a super impressive and efficient line of:

14.1 PG
5.8 rebs/gm
2.0 assts/gm
1.8 blocks/gm
59.5% FG’s
52.0% 3’s
80.0% FT’s

Not saying he’s not a good shotblocker weakside, but you’re cherry picking stats in single facets of the game rather than considering all attributes of defense. Is DJ a good defender overall?

I’m on record as saying he’s a legit B10 2 way player at this point, but no way is he a good defender.

How many guys in the big ten guard 5 positions? Is that what the slightly above average player is able to do?

I am not cherrypicking. Everyone knows individual defense is hard to quantify. Blocks or steals?

Intentionally or not, you reframed the discussion to individual defense–a realm which is hard to quantify.

I am more than fine with DJ’s defense and he is getting better.

I’m not saying guard 5 positions, NBA players aren’t capable of that, well perhaps a few. But his one on one post defense certainly isn’t good, he’s shown flashes of being good (had a nice block last night while standing up an IU player), but got bullied a few times as well. Again, he’s shown flashes of being a good defensive rebounder, but he’s been punked a lot as well. He consistently gets beat on the perimeter from stagnant positions.

All of that screams inconsistency, which is the exact opposite of good. I think you’re referring to the P word…potential, which I agree with. But he’s not good…yet

…and here I thought bad was the exact opposite of good. Inconsistency implies some bad and some good, the percentages of which will certainly be argued by all of us from game to game.

1 Like

Fair point here, can’t disagree.

How many “good” defenders do you think are in the big ten? I guess for specifically in the post?

Not qualified to answer that question because I don’t watch enough of the other teams around the B10.

OK Dylan, where’s my Forum Badge for this? :smiley:

4 Likes

If only it were that easy for me to get people to admit they’re wrong…when faced with clear and convincing evidence. But I understand the nature of fandom, people are always going to be defensive when it comes to their rooting interests, even when objective data is presented.

Good one though lol

This entire conversation of whether or not he is “good” is ridiculous and depends on your entirely subjective definition of that word. I have an entirely different definition of the word “mediocre” apparently as well. Our team is far from great but hell we just blew out the #1 offensive team in the big Ten by 30. We are an average/inconsistent team, trending upward at this very moment with a ceiling of above average/good.

DJ is pretty clearly WAY better than anyone on this board expected him to be at the beginning of the season. Why even make the initial post in the first place praising 6 different things he did extremely well just to conclude that he simply isn’t “good”?

4 Likes

If only it were that easy for me to get people to admit they’re wrong…when faced with clear and convincing evidence. But I understand the nature of fandom, people are always going to be defensive when it comes to their rooting interests, even when objective data is presented.

Good to know that you are taking your audience and venue into account. Do you ever dissuade an upper tier prospect from considering Michigan by presenting clear and convincing evidence to them?