Great addition in Mortiz Wagner

Care to get back on topic?

Beilein brings in guards who make sense to most fans and who excel; with the exception of McGary and Morgan defensively, he brings in big men who seem questionable, who
drop an awful lot of passes in their careers, and who make fans cry for better players. The entire time Beilein is the head coach, this is going to be the case. It’s not so much that he can’t get the Diamond Stones, etc.–he doesn’t offer them. He will always
favor the Donnals and McLimanses and Wagners. If Wagner works out, then great, but his tape isn’t encouraging.

Looks aggressive. Maybe he will check one of the boxes for some of the critics. Just don’t think rebounding is a big Beilein priority, OTOH; the folks who dislike Beilein will just have to keep shaking their fists at the heavens. Keeping my fingers crossed that we keep Caris and–though the odds are slim–land Brown.

I AM open to the charge that Beilein is not recruiting poor neighborhoods; but I’d like to see that substantiated. I think that he’s looking to minimize the sturm and drang, to keep the AAU system at bay, and this may well (also) BE a characterological thing for him. All these tendencies likely also mitigate against choosing certain kids. If the notion is that Michigan lacks or is losing street cred under Beilein, I would like to see that anatomized.

We landed another player that’s going to take 2 years before he contributes in a meaningful way. That’s perfectly fine, but we need to land someone that’s ready immediately in 2015 or 16, whether it be a transfer who’s already developed or a Brown type talent.

I don’t care which one, just get it done. I’m ready for another road trip in March to watch my Wolverines.

He seems like a nice fit. I keep thinking this means one of the 4/5 guys won’t be back. We’ll see. If nothing else someone will leave after next season because we have so many bodies at the 5 and not enough minutes. I’m assuming Wagner speaks English? Anyone know? I can only imagine how hard it would be to move half-way across the world to a foreign country…but at 18 that seems even tougher.

In my opinion, we only have 1 true 5 on the roster in Doyle. The rest of those guys are wing players from a functional standpoint but JB forces them to play center because he values shooting so much. Teske will be a welcome addition in 16.

He seems like a nice fit. I keep thinking this means one of the 4/5 guys won't be back. We'll see. If nothing else someone will leave after next season because we have so many bodies at the 5 and not enough minutes. I'm assuming Wagner speaks English? Anyone know? I can only imagine how hard it would be to move half-way across the world to a foreign country..but at 18 that seems even tougher.

His English is supposedly pretty good.

I not to big on redshirts outside of a player getting hurt McLimas , Donnal, and Biefieldt all redshirted and for the most part they were not good. Max did ok in his 4th year on a bad team with no depth . Our big men for the most part have been underwhelming and the coach deserves blame on this . He needs to change on how he evaluates and recruits bigs.

I not to big on redshirts outside of a player getting hurt McLimas , Donnal, and Biefieldt all redshirted and for the most part they were not good. Max did ok in his 4th year on a bad team with no depth . Our big men for the most part have been underwhelming and the coach deserves blame on this . He needs to change on how he evaluates and recruits bigs.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think JB has attempted to find a more defensive oriented big man…Teske will be a departure from the norm for JB. Excellent shot blocker that will be a tremendous asset for UM once he puts on some muscle.

Wagner now a 4 star on Rivals

https://rivals.yahoo.com/michigan/basketball/recruiting/player-Moritz-Wagner-172826

Beindit scouting report on Wagner…this guy pretty much has no credibility. Describes Wagner’s jumpshot as ‘smooth and natural’ and will be ‘deadly’ in the pick an pop game, says Wanger has ‘decent footwork and the ability to pivot’…huh?Wagner has a hitch in his shot and clearly cocks his forearm to the left side of his body, shot only 30% from 3, his footwork/pivoting is pretty bad…even Anthony Wright noticed. On the other hand, I don’t think he’s all that slow. Doesn’t seem to possess great lateral agility but his vertical speed isn’t as bad as the reports make it seem in my opinion.

Moritz Wagner headed to UM.. watched two minutes of his tape.. guarantee Beilein spends the first month teaching the correct pivot foot lol

— Anthony Wright (@ItsAntWright) April 5, 2015

We picked up Dawkins and MAAR last year at about the same time, and I don’t recall anyone getting excited about it or projecting them as guys who could contribute as freshmen. Yet they have. So I’ll wait and see on Wagner. He had some pretty good schools after him. I don’t think that he’s going to break anyone down off the dribble, but he can handle the ball, runs the court very well and appears to have a good motor and work ethic. I’m not sure about his shooting since highlight reels only show makes.

Just off the top of my head, do you guys see any Matt Barnes (poor man’s version) in Wagner…doesn’t handle all that well, not a knockdown shooter (but good enough to keep a defender honest), but runs the floor well and plays with a decent amount of energy.

Trip into lala land? What are you even talking about. I just clearly demonstrated the dialouge that you, for some reason, kept insisting didn't exist.

What is your question asking which teams can make the final four consistently? Or back to back years? You’re asking two different things unless you’re asking just from the past 2 years in 2013 and 2014.

Does anyone know when Moritz plans to come over? Wondering if there’s any chance he hits up Camp Sanderson

My question was this:

“How many programs in the country can realistically expect to reach consecutive Final 4s on a consistent basis?”

Did you misunderstand the question earlier?

Just off the top of my head, do you guys see any Matt Barnes (poor man's version) in Wagner............doesn't handle all that well, not a knockdown shooter (but good enough to keep a defender honest), but runs the floor well and plays with a decent amount of energy.

I can see that comparison. I think of Barnes as a smaller guy, but I think you’re right.

Really hard for me to get a read on him. Just too many unknowns. I am going to trust the NBA scouts and evals and our coaches on this one.

Why do folk continue to expect every single freshman will step on campus and contribute? Would I want that? I sure would, but that’s not reality. Beilein recruits players who fit his system. He sees something in their game that he can use. Does it mean it will happen immediately? No it doesn’t, Beilein wants/needs players to learn his system and have it down to a science. Is Wagner a project? Without doubt he is, Every player coming in is a project, one and dones are far and Inbetween. Beilein may have recruited Wagner knowing he was a project that needs polishing, but who is to say he could afford to wait on him? Beilein had an available scholarship and made the choice to use it to lock Wagner (a Beilein prototype player) in. A Redshirt is not the curse some make it out to be. Try looking at it like when a NBA team Drafts a foreign player but leaves him overseas for further development. If we didn’t grab Wagner now he would not have been available later. I feel if fans learn to temper their high expectations they may learn to appreciate the game and their coach more.

Why do folk continue to expect every single freshman will step on campus and contribute? Would I want that? I sure would, but that's not reality. Beilein recruits players who fit his system. He sees something in their game that he can use. Does it mean it will happen immediately? No it doesn't, Beilein wants/needs players to learn his system and have it down to a science. Is Wagner a project? Without doubt he is, Every player coming in is a project, one and dones are far and Inbetween. Beilein may have recruited Wagner knowing he was a project that needs polishing, but who is to say he could afford to wait on him? Beilein had an available scholarship and made the choice to use it to lock Wagner (a Beilein prototype player) in. A Redshirt is not the curse some make it out to be. Try looking at it like when a NBA team Drafts a foreign player but leaves him overseas for further development. If we didn't grab Wagner now he would not have been available later. I feel if fans learn to temper their high expectations they may learn to appreciate the game and their coach more.

Speaking for myself, I simply have no patience. I want results, and I want them now. Who in their right mind wants to sit through a few years of mediocrity when the only thing between us and multiple Final 4s is instant impact personnel? Call me greedy, but at least I’m honest.