George Mason grad transfer Justin Kier lists Michigan in top seven

Kier’s strength is definitely the ability to create his own shot off the dribble. Usually a mid-range two, but he’s a guy who is best with the ball in his hands.

I’d expect more out of him as a secondary creator than a catch and shoot guy.

1 Like

Don’t really see this comparison. More comfortable as a handler out of ball screens than Brooks, less efficient/reliant on catch and shoot game.

Brooks is a guy who takes more threes than twos (barely). Kier is a guard who only attempts 25% of his shots from three.

1 Like

Volume is usually the biggest tell. Given that he’s a 25% 3PA/FGA guy, I would temper shooting expectations for him at the Big Ten level. His ability to drive, create and get to the free-throw line is more where I’d focus expectations.

3 Likes

Sounds like an end-of-shot-clock guy, and that definitely fills a need. Not sure if it fills it in a way that really boosts the team’s fortunes next year. Bird in the hand and all that, but might it not be worth waiting to see what comes out May 20? It would suck to commit all scholarships only to find some real talent out there looking for a home. I’m sure the staff has a better sense than I of who might come available though, and no doubt I’m not the only one to have thought of that.

1 Like

What’s May 20? Is that when they decide about the transfer sit out rule?

Yep – May 20th is the transfer vote. It’s a tough balance from a staff POV. Of course you could have additional room from another transfer, NBA, etc.

This is my only concern. Kier seems like a nice fit but there could be much better talent available this summer with immediate eligibility. It is definitely a bird in the hand type situation. I’m just not sure if Michigan is in good enough of a position to wait.

1 Like

It’s definitely risky to wait until May 20th. Keep in mind that if immediate eligibility is granted then and an influx of players enter the portal, there could also be some Michigan players who enter. In that case you could get Kier and still have a spot or two for one of those transfers down the road.

Given the current roster situation, Kier feels like a good solution as he plays the 2 and he’s shown that he can shoot. It was noted in the article that he can play decent defense, but we would have to see how that translates to the B1G.

Either way, with nothing guaranteed in the future, I think he’s a must-get

1 Like

I definitely think this is a bird in the hand situation. So many unknowns at this point

• What will be the May 20 ruling?
  • What will Livers decide?
  • Will anybody else leave if May 20 immediate eligibility? Or if we bring in Kier?

I think you could roll the dice and see what happens May 20 but this is a good enough option to proceed with. Color me skeptical, but I’m wondering if the pursuit here has anything to do with Livers leaning toward not coming back.

1 Like

Part of the reason I didn’t completely understand the move to immediately put Jace on scholarship after missing out on Todd/Christopher but there are obviously still other potential avenues of attrition.

12 Likes

At the very least, he raises the floor at the 2-guard.

1 Like

I’m more than a little wary of giving the last scholarship to a guy with a stress fracture history. In case people forgot, this is the injury that ended Levert’s season two years in a row. Seems like a big risk.

I have two questions under the presumption that Justin Kier commits to Michigan:

1. rank these players from most minutes played to least

2. rank these players from highest usage rate to least

Eli Brooks, Mike Smith, Justin Kier, Zeb Jackson

1. Brooks, Kier, Smith, Jackson

2. Smith, Kier, Jackson, Brooks

Is MAAR a good comparison for Kier?

The year after next Brooks, Smith, Kier,(?) and likely Wagner are going to leave room for Cole to move into a position in the rotation, maybe starting. This assumes he doesn’t break into the rotation this year, which might not be out of the guestion.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I don’t think this is how that meme is supposed to work.

19 Likes

I think it is respect thing to Jace. You can sell Jace that he wouldnt be scholarship player for a very specific reason - to land Christopher - a crown jewel of a recruiting class that has been the long play. It is much harder to not put him on hold to wait and see on something that isnt even defined as a specific entity and is much more nebulous - i.e. it is the notion of sacrificing for a specific cause vs sacrificing for something completely unknown.

3 Likes

4 Likes