Game 30: Michigan at Maryland Recap

And complementing that point, mgl, reasonably critiquing players’ play and coaches’ coaching can be productive as avid fans wanting to learn “everything they can.” I’ve learned a great deal on this site, often from points counter to what I believed was happening on the court. I think UMHoops forum participants are among the most educated, most avid, most observant posters around, and Dylan & Co. provide a wealth of info to gobble up. Most important to me, though is I can’t think of any subscriber or patron on these forums that ever attacks the character of either the student athletes or coaching staff. If an outlier did, he/she would be run out of the chat room, so to speak. That speaks volumes to me.

6 Likes

That chart reinforces my impressions about Eli. Although his personal statistics are a disaster, the team plays OK when he’s on the floor. And I remain positive about his long term potential. I just hope he doesn’t transfer.

1 Like

Turgeon postgame (terrible audio):

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s really that difficult of a shot. It’s like a scoop layup with an extended windup. I feel like a lot of guys could do it if they worked on it. It seems like an efficient shot from an energy standpoint, generated mostly from your arm as opposed to a jumper which involves your legs.

I believe DDJ’s last possession during that Maryland run was the Cowan-to-Smith dunk with 15:50 to go. According to the replay (I saw it here) DDJ completely biffed the switch, leaving Smith just as Cowan was looking to pass, allowing Smith a wide open slam.

There’s no question that Eli got put in to settle things down defensively, and that he succeeded. Not positive but based on the Pbp rundown on ESPN.com it looks like the team was -1 with Brooks on the floor to close out that stretch. Not fantastic, obviously, but not disastrous.

2 Likes

Not you mgl. Not at all. Another gentleman on here. I wasn’t referring to you at all. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that.

I will be analyzing Eli’s defense, DDJ’s, too, as I promised in an earlier comment. Hint: It might not have been “outstanding” but it was REALLY good.

Truly sorry if I offended you. I can kind of be a bit of a prick at times in my support of our coach and players, but I’m trying. Boy I’m trying. Again, sorry, man! I appreciate your thoughts!

1 Like

From an energy standpoint I suppose it can be efficient, but from a mechanical standpoint it’s very difficult. Probably the number one thing that makes it hard is the fact that once you take the ball from the shooting position it’s a one-handed shoot. There’s a reason why you very rarely see guys shoot one handed outside of 5 feet or so.

Sweeping hooks are also so difficult to master because like a baseball swing or a throwing motion, the longer it is, the more areas there are for things to break down and alter accuracy. So it takes so much repetition/practice to get that repeat motion. Probably partly why jump hooks over sweeping hooks are more popular - the shorter motion is simpler and more repeatable. And obviously the further you go out, the more difficult it becomes.

Maybe guys start using a sweeping hook inside of 5 feet more, but I think it’s already being utilized and they are recognized as hooks but more circus layups.

OK, I’ve now had the chance to watch, and analyze, the replay. I’m not going to go into EVERY possession when X was off the court, though I could, but suffice it to say, DDJ did OK, and Eli was VERY good.

Specifically referring to Eli’s 4:36 minutes with X sitting, Cowan was essentially a non factor. He did get off one shot with Eli guarding him, a 24-25 foot three pointer that missed. He didn’t score during the time that Eli was on the floor. In fact, Cowan barely touched the ball. For such a terrific offensive force, he didn’t do much when Eli was guarding him.

More than just “correct rotations,” Eli played extremely hard. He fought through screens and did a good job of denying Cowan the ball. And, of course, he took that charge with excellent footwork and positioning. He did a great job defensively while on the floor.

My final point, while YOU may feel Eli only “knows where to be defensively” Coach B, our future Hall of Fame coach, has confidence in Eli’s defensive prowess. I’ll trust Beilein’s eyes and judgement over either yours or mine.

If you’d like, I’ll be happy to send you a PM and break down every Maryland offensive possession when X was sitting with three fouls.

1 Like

Agreed and I was a big Eli believer (still am , just doesn’t look good the rest of this year imo). I liked the shots he took, he’s just not shooting with confidence. I think the z Charles iggy livers teske lineup could work.

Agreed, I’m convinced he will start shouting well next year and those elbow jumped will fall and be very helpful.

1 Like

I thought the ± stats were somewhat telling for Matthews. Of the starters, the team was effected the least offensively when he went off the court. The last two games, and even the MSU game when he had low usage, suggest that the offense does better when he’s either not as involved or off the court completely.

He’s still very much needed defensively and for depth purposes. But he is an inefficient offensive below with a O rating below 100 and he uses up nearly a quarter of the possessions. Some of the offensive problems is as simple as having a high usage player who is inefficient and bogs down possessions.

5 Likes

It may be that Livers opens up the offensive end for Brazdeikis’ drive game. Brazdeikis may not be a good drive and kick guy, but defenders are still unwilling to leave Livers alone on the 3-point line.

2 Likes

Speaking of Livers, he’s the rare case of a guy who lost his starting job and saw increased playing time. Last year he started 22 games and averaged 15 mpg; this year, only two starts but 22 mpg.

Actually, I was unaware that Livers only averaged 22 minutes. Really? He’s the best 3 point shooter on a team starved for offense, and he’s decent defensively. Plus he’s a real cool dude. He needs to play more.

2 Likes

Well there’s only so many minutes in the frontcourt. Iggy averages nearly 30 mpg and Teske 28.

1 Like

RE: the Simpson auto bench with 3 fouls, do you guys think it’s a coincidence that Beilein teams always has one one of the lowest foul rates in the country? Players have been conditioned through benchings and the like to not commit dumb fouls because they no they will get no leeway with Beilein. Yeah, it can be frustrating in the moment to have a player benched, but in the grand scheme of things it teaches his players to be responsible and mindful of their play.

5 Likes

DDj has been the first sub off the bench, but consistently blows switches and other assignments on defense. Brooks is a non-factor on offense, but at least you know what you’re getting on defense. I think the coaches are waiting for one of them, mostly DDJ, to seize most of that role.

1 Like

Well stated Steve. JB teaches culture and your stated strategy is part of that culture. I personally never concern myself with the auto-bench strategy. No one on this board has the creds to prove JB wrong, he has a huge staff dedicated to analytics and tactics that we never see. That, plus 40 years of coaching at the highest level. He coaches games in 4 minute segments and adjusts accordingly to the situation…it’s not a static approach but rather dynamic by measuring the variables as they happen. Just like his point guards play…all situational, “read and react”…uses the same coaching philosophy as his point guards.

I think he has many reasons to auto-bench early in the half, as no game can be lost in the first four minutes. As he stated, if they get out scored he adjusts, if not hold steady. The most important part of every game is the last 8 minutes where you need your BEST players on the floor. If you risk not having your best on the floor you put the game in jeiopardy at the hands of Freshman and inexperience. Because his strategy demands zero turnovers late in games his teams typically win the last eight minutes. One reason why they are so damn good! You can bet JB not only tracks turnovers but also when those turnovers occur in games…check the last 8 minutes of all the games and tell me what you find. Number one in the country?

So my final take…the team is 59-12 over the past two years with an 83% winning percentage. I can’t think of one game they lost of the 12 because of his auto-bench tactic. I will also say they probably had the lowest turnover rate of all the teams in the NCAA, but that would be a guess.

Go Blue!

I was scrutinizing him throughout his time in just out of curiousity, and–yeah–it looked like he played great D. When that shot opened up for him from the elbow, I thought, “Okay! This is it. . .” Would give my eye teeth to know what Beilein said to him.

1 Like

Please Eli please just make a few open shots against MSU. That’s all I ask and I asked nice

4 Likes