Game 28: Michigan State at Michigan Recap

Michigan just seemed super sluggish. Maybe it was just me but it seems like all the player’s energy levels are down since the start of the year. Go watch the games of UNC, Providence or Nova and Michigan just looks so much different. Especially on defense.

2 Likes

Schedule may not have helped there. MSU was at home on Wednesday while we played at Minnesota Thursday night.

I think a day and a half of rest is a thing. Maybe more about mental acuity–coupled with a razor-sharp game plan. Not a thing to complain about, but a thing. We have a long rest before we go to EL, so maybe that’ll be a thing, too.

I’m with UM Hoops in thinking that although MSU played a great game, in the end we lost by seven. Some layups, some sunk threes and then everyone is constructing alternative narratives.

2 Likes

State was just better. Fatigue is a poor excuse
Poole brain cramps on defense had little to do with fatigue imo. MSU went from 6 down to 1 up after a poor stretch by M in general and Poole in particular

2 Likes

This game played out how I feared it might. We were flat and couldn’t shoot and MSU played inspired without their 2 starters. We willl need to play much better if we are going to do anything in March. We are capable of doing it but haven’t shown it much lately.

Michigan looked really tired at the end of the Wisconsin game, and looked pretty beat at the end of this one.

I would say that we’re seeing the limits of the JB short bench strategy. I hope JB adjusts his approach in future seasons.

1 Like

I went out of my way not to say it was an excuse. Likewise it would be dumb to suggest it isn’t a factor. I thought Beilein’s post-game take was salutary in its calm matter-of-factness.

2 Likes

Yes I’m taking in the full season grind that will surely affect them some but the mental discipline to just not jump at every damn shot fake, frequently getting back doored, just little things that don’t take physical energy per say and are just mental. Way more of those are occurring of late it feels like. It gets magnified during losses obviously but the jumping at shots is unneccessary.

I thought Coach Beilein was quite ticked off in presser but did his usual compliment to opposition, so as to avoid blaming anyone.

Michigan played losing basketball against a very good opponent and paid the price. Up 51-45 with the ball, several self inflicted wounds later and M found itself in a hole they were unable to climb out of. Poole does this sort of thing nearly every game. I don’t think it’s fatigue driven but I could be wrong.

Flying by shot fakes at the 3-point line is a common thing for this team, to the point where I wonder if the coaching staff is alright with it. I could see analytics telling us that a challenged jumper in rhythm has a higher rate of success than an unchallenged one after rhythm has been disrupted. I’m clearly just spit-balling, but for one of the best defensive teams in the country to consistently feature the fly-by makes me wonder whether it’s by design.

Sorry , I thought you were being sarcastic. I was like damn, he has a game where isn’t lockdown and now he’s overrated? We’re on the same page then.

Winston played all 40 minutes yesterday. How’d he do?

Okay. I thought he was amazingly cool about it. Different takes.

It kind of a way of signaling to everyone that you’ve been caught out of position, though!

I agree. Since it’s not just one player doing it, though, I wonder whether it has something to do with the whole “contest every shot with every fiber of your being” mentality; perhaps a final act of desperation once you know you’ll be a bit late on a standard close-out.

1 Like

It’s definitely something that’s taught. Some coaches subscribe to the idea that you should never jump on a close out, that’s very clearly not what Yaklich wants. Doesn’t mean he wants us jumping wildly at obvious shot fakes, but I think it happening every so often is just something you’ll have to live with scheme-wise.

1 Like
7 Likes

Great post, as always. Hope Poole can dial it in, and quickly. My only quibble is the close out where McQuaid clearly jumped into him… that really grinds my gears that the play is allowed. The NBA does not allow such plays correct?

That must have been one painful film session for Jordan yesterday.

1 Like

Brilliant vid. The last one in transition just shows a lack of awareness with him.
Losing their best player in transition. How to differentiate between a good and bad shots. Not sure if its a lack of spatial ability since he seems to show it on offense.
Poole needs a reward system to earn shots. Starts with D.

1 Like