Game 24: Michigan at Northwestern Preview

Eh, 9:00 PM tip is pretty normal for Central time zone games.

1 Like

Donā€™t know where to put this, but at 4:30 today ESPNU is showing UM @ Indiana from 2013.

Probably one of the most electric games Iā€™ve ever been to in person.

9 Likes

Literally felt like the building was shaking. Was sitting in the middle of the IU student section.

4 Likes

Is Northwestern really worse than Nebraska?? If so (or if they are comparable), then I have to think the team that beat Nebraska on the road without Livers can easily beat NW on the road with him.

If only #LifeInTheBigTen was that simpleā€¦

3 Likes

Worse but different? And a different game at a different time in a different place :slight_smile: thatā€™s why they play the actual games

:joy: Yes Dylan, of course. Plus this is the Big Ten. I know NW and Neb are a lot different in terms of their team composition and how they play. I guess I was just wondering, is NW actually worse than Nebraska? I live with a Nebraska guy on campus so I see Neb play a lot. I havenā€™t seen NW play more than a minute though. Are they really as bad as their record, Kenpom, etc say?

NW is a much better 3 point shooting team than Nebraska. If NW gets hot, things could get dicey.

Theyā€™re the #22 team in the country over the past 2.5 weeks according to barttorvik

Where are you getting #22? That timeframe shows them as #64 for me.

Incidentally Michigan is #8 nationally in that same timeframe.

Iā€™m guessing you saw this posted at mgoblog. Northwestern is #22 if you select a starting point of February 1st. This period only includes two games both of which were losses.

Over that same span Michigan is 11th (2-1).

Helps explain the short line though

Iā€™m seeing Austin Davis as a game-time decision for tonightā€¦ any update on that? If he canā€™t go, would love to see Johns get extended minutes at the 4 and the 5 rather than go down the depth chart to Castleton. Brandon has earned that in my opinion

2 Likes

Heā€™s been wearing that shoulder sleeve all season and it looked like he was in a lot of pain after that blocked shot. I know he came back, but I bet heā€™ll be limited as long as the coaches donā€™t think they need him. Northwestern isnā€™t a big team, so living with Johns and Castleton potentially at the 5 tonight is an option to let Davis rest it.

Especially true when considering that NW doesnā€™t have A) anyone with true size and B) anyone with a strong back to the basket game. Much better to get the offensive advantages that playing Johns at the 5 has to offer.

From yesterday: ā€œIā€™m not sure if itā€™s gotten better because in practice yesterday, he still fought through practice, didnā€™t show any problems with the shoulder,ā€ Howard said, ā€œbut then toward the end of practice, I could tell that he was grabbing it a little bit. Hopefully, heā€™ll be ready to go tomorrow.ā€

If Austin canā€™t play, Iā€™d still like an uptick in BJJā€™s minutes, but it still feels like a game that Colin would still be the primary backup 5 no?

Not saying he deserves it, but it seems unwise to mess with rotations even more with livers finally back. Might be nicer, if the opportunity presents itself, to truly carve out the Livers/Franz/Johns rotation.

EDIT: Or maybe what Juwan wants is small ball option (eg Oregon game), and this is first chance heā€™s had to see it without the presence of legit bigs?

This feels like a good situation for Johns at the five if Austin missesā€¦ Northwestern isnā€™t really threatening you in the post.

8 Likes

Eh, I think thatā€™s a pretty normal line for a conference road favorite.

I expect this to be tighter than weā€™d like. Really hoping they take care of business.

1 Like