Game 17: Michigan at Iowa Recap

Wymer back on the grind tonight.

Maybe he’s overworked

:thinking:

1 Like

I guess the big question is what is the floor and ceiling of this team? And what will lead to either? In my opinion the floor is missing the tourney while the ceiling is Elite 8. I am not sure there is another team in the country that has that wide of variance.

I should’ve sent him some cut-ups of me dominating IM games last winter

10 Likes

Feeling bad for The Mayor.

1 Like

So although the podcast is dedicated to UM and MSU basketball, Dylan and Brandon really should be trying to get an endorsement from Luka Garza:

I don’t often set screens, but when I do, they’re moving screens.

3 Likes
2 Likes

We have a 35.3 losing percentage too, so we’re performing to the expectations of an “elite team” according to this.

3 Likes

Idk, some argument for a hook and hold, no? Didn’t seem like Franz had his left arm passed Wieskamps hip until Wieskamp pulled it there

Bad for him?

1 Like

Bad for Wymer, yeah. I can empathize with officials who are having a bad day. It’s a terrible feeling.

But he was not the one who suffered the consequences. Admittedly hyperbolic, but that’s a little like feeling worse for a physician who has committed malpractice than the injured patient.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. I was certainly more pissed than I was sympathetic. I can empathize, only because I’ve been in that position; not at nearly the same level, of course. But, kicking some calls in a big game is something I’ve been through, and it feels awful. Officials have bad games, just like players and coaches have bad games. It sucks to be on the receiving end of one as a fan of a team; no doubt about that.

1 Like

Would you be willing to expand on that a little? Believe you mentioned you officiate games at the college level so I’d be interested in reading some insight into having a good/bad game as a ref.

(Dylan, I’m sorry. I know it’s been almost two years since that game. I apologize!)

EDIT: lol, looks like you sort of already covered it.

I love talking about that stuff. We try to encourage our younger officials to discuss things like this, as it’ll make them better.

Some games, you’re just a little off. Your reactions aren’t quite what they should be. Just like a player who is having an off night, you can’t even put your finger on why you’re a little off your game. Every game, you’ll miss a play or two where you don’t have the right angle to see the play perfectly, but having an off night is different. On an off night, you are generally either slow to process plays, or you find yourself anticipating a play, and calling something that doesn’t happen. We see examples of both as we watch high D1 games every night.

A couple of plays from my past that I can still see clearly in my mind…

A big rivalry HS regular season game about 15 years ago, where a one-on-one drive to the basket resulted in a charge/block decision that I absolutely butchered. The defender was a super skinny, super quick kid who established LGP, slid with the dribbler, and was sliding when he took the contact in the chest. I called a block, and knew I’d kicked it as soon as I signaled the foul. My error = anticipating the play, rather than processing it properly and making the correct call.

A college game about 10 years ago, where I watched a cutter sprint across the lane under the basket, and more or less get hipped out of bounds by his defender. He quickly recovered and finished his cut. But, it was such an easy call. It needed to be called, as it bordered on rough play. My error = I was just generally slow to react that night, and I didn’t call it. By the time I realized my error, it was too late to make the call.

This stuff happens to low and high level officials. You just hope your off-nights don’t impact the outcome of the game.

18 Likes

Thanks for that insight and for sharing a few personal stories!

1 Like

I wonder how much the travel schedule affects these guys. They’re calling a lot of games every week.

1 Like

There is no way they’re at their mental and physical best every night.

7 Likes

Looking at our schedule it does ease up slightly but we really could Have used those two road games

2 Likes

Thanks for the reffing input. IMO the blame the refs angle is always at it’s worst when simply assuming ill will from the refs without considering the structural factors that shape things. The aftermath of The Spot in '16, when the conference did damage control via Teddy Greenstein, showed me that conference procedures, norms and standards are a black box into which few have looked and understood. We just take it for granted that some sort of best practices are applied.