Four-star wing Isaiah Barnes commits to Michigan

In what sense is he boom or bust? He’s got size, athleticism and shooting? That’s a pretty high floor to work from. Sounds like maybe he turns it on and off?

2 Likes

Maybe that’s the wrong way to put it. My larger point is that he has the tools but he hasn’t proven he’s a legit producer at the highest level really. He’s not a lock to be an early impact player in the Big Ten based on what he’s done.

If he had the same tools and averaged 16 per game in the EYBL last year, you’d say he’s more proven.

4 Likes

He absolutely murdered the second team in that high school highlight clip… wow

Watching this Vid has me thinking a Grant Hill Type with a Jumpshot! Dare I say Tmac?! Does he have a 3 inch growth Spurt in him? Nice Pick Up! :muscle:t4::weight_lifting_man:t4:‍♂:gorilla: :basketball_man:t4:‍♂:man_playing_handball:t5::basketball_man:t4:‍♂

The high school highlights were quite a step up from his summer highlights. He looks bigger and springier. He could be a fun one.

ooh he is wearing #11 in his commit graphic. that rules.

1 Like

Yea big difference. I was just going to mention that. Appears to have grown a lot too.

I think he’s a very good scorer. I like his shot off the bounce. He also showed one really nice, really quick crossover, if he can replicate that…
What I didn’t see was any knack or aptitude to distribute. He can create but based on videos; he’s creating for himself. He has the handle and the shot to break people down, I didn’t see the vision.
I don’t see any reason he won’t be able to contribute early.

He’s definitely more of a scoring wing than a perimeter playmaker. More Tim Hardaway than Caris LeVert in that regard.

6 Likes

Barnes a gunner. Like the kid on Nebraska last year that liked to get his shots. Or the Baker kid on Rutgers who’s always searching for a three. I’m not sure how he compares size wise with them but the shot searching mentality seems similar.

As an aside:
His coach bringing out a Beileinism. Ending a sentence with “right now” Coach Beilein was good for one or two of those in a presser.

“Not only is he calm, his leadership has grown tremendously right now,” River Forest coach Matt Maloney told the Chicago Tribune.

1 Like

Tis a good Wednesday!

It’s hard to say, since most highlight videos like to show the guy scoring more than anything else.

I see the THJ comp way more than the Charles Matthews comp MgoBlog tossed in. Barnes approaching anything near CM’s defense is a distant fantasy. And a CM with better handle and shot on offense sounds a lot like THJ.

3 Likes

Way more explosive than Les, even before the injuries. But not bad.

I agree the Matthews comparison is poor. CM was a pure athlete and an elite defender. If you have to say “CM but less athletic, not as good of a defender, but a better shooter, etc” at what point does that cease to not be CM at all?

3 Likes

do we have any shooting percentages on Barnes?

Chicagoooooooo!!!

MattD’s article on MGoBlog said 49.4% overall with 44% from 3

4 Likes

Thanks. Is that HS or AAU?

HS

Extra characters