Four-star forward Terrance Williams commits to Michigan

I’m pretty sure they can still walk on if they take an official. They had this discussion on the 247 board and somebody posted an article where some lineman walked on to Wisconsin after he took an official visit.

5 Likes

Everyone keeps saying this, but is it true? You see greyshirts in football all the time where kids pay their way the first year until they get a scholarship year 2. Not sure why you couldn’t do the same for basketball. I don’t know the official rule though.

2 Likes

Not sure what the rule is, but guessing that they will allow Jace to be part of the team as a walk on if he comes here

It’s rare to see a grayshirt pay their own way for a year. In football they usually just delay their enrollment for a semester and go on scholarship then. They get to count as part of the next class and don’t use up any of their eligibility.

That doesn’t work for basketball. I really can’t think of any grayshirts in basketball.

1 Like

Bryant Stith is my comp.

I can’t think of any either. I’m just strictly speaking from a rules standpoint. Most grayshirts take official visits and then pay their way for a period of time, which is what we are talking about with Jace. Jace is also obviously an extremely unique situation that you just don’t regularly see. Many people are saying that there is a rule that says if you take an official visit you can’t walk on, but I don’t think that’s true. Would love to see the official rule.

Grayshirts rarely pay their own way, even for a semester, and they are promised scholarships. I wouldn’t compare them to walkons.
The complete rules don’t seem to be posted anywhere online. I’ve looked several times in the past.

The more I watch this kids film, the more I like him. He’s just so solid. I’m not sure how else to put it. He gets how to use his body and play with avg athleticism ( at the college level). He has what appears to be a high iq and great body control. He’s strong, tough,physical. Smooth nice shot. Reminds me of grant Williams a bit.

Even if Todd never comes this class of zeb, Terrance, and hunter will end up being an amazing class with a ton of wins ahead of it. These three combined with bajema and Franz over the last two years will put up a ton of victories.

Add in the 2018 class and I feel bad for the big ten. In two years a roster of

Ddj/zeb
Bajema/ zeb/ ddj
Franz/Nunez
Johns/Williams
Colin/ hunter

Add in 2021 class and something special is brewing.

9 Likes

Two things stand out from that recent EYBL film on this post.

1. His range is already very comfortably at the new college three point distance and beyond.
  2. Seems to have no qualms about finishing with his left hand and did it quite well in this film.
3 Likes

I think he looks significantly more fluid in recent footage too. He still has a big/strong frame, but he is a little more explosive. His ability to finish with either hand helps him finish effectively despite not being a crazy leaper.

3 Likes

Alright everybody, stop stealing my comps: I was the first one to compare him to Zack Novak! Actually, it just seems to be a natural way to see him. . .

I agree with Sly above: Michigan is going to keep playing at a very high level into the foreseeable future. And since Michigan hoops is one of the happiest things in my life, I am grateful!

5 Likes

I think it’s over taken my other sports teams as most important. College hoops is certainly my favorite. I get into the nfl but I find myself more hyped for college hoops. So this has been a great decade with seemingly bright days ahead.

5 Likes

I’m with you there. Baseball is my fave sport, and I follow it as closely (if not more closely) as I do college hoops, but I’m partly embarrassed to admit that my strat-o-matic baseball team is now my fave baseball team. No fantasy college hoops for me, so Michigan it is, and I am passionate.

3 Likes

Happy New Year, this is just amazing.

1 Like
5 Likes

I’m not offering this quote from the article in order to debate McDonald’s expertise, but just to point out that some think T Will is a “very good athlete.” Whether we like him or we don’t, the guy, Dan McDonald, does make his living analyzing basketball recruiting, so I’m guessing he knows something.

From the article, “Williams, a 6-foot-6 small forward, also brings a toughness to the program. He’s a very good athlete and will be a threat from three-point range as well.”

Good stuff here from Brendan.

5 Likes

I haven’t watched much tape of Terrance Williams yet, but yeah there are different types of athlete. My guess is that Terrance is fluid and mobile (functionally athletic), but not necessarily super explosive. Similar to a Teske. Phenomenal athletic feet but no explosion.

4 Likes

I will keep saying this. Adrian Dantley.

1 Like

I cannot wait to spend all summer with you all on here trying to break down where minutes are going to come for everyone on next year’s roster!

8 Likes