Film Room: The basics of Brad Underwood's spread offense

Illinois isn’t running this stuff as much as it did last year, but I think we’ll still see it. That, plus the Oregon matchup on Saturday, made it worth it to bring this post back for this week.

2 Likes

Spread offense sounds a lot scarier when it’s coming off the end of the football season.

1 Like

I was going to ask, how could they? It seems like the initial halfcourt set requires four guys outside the paint functioning as guards/wings/cutters yet this season Bezhanishvili and Cockburn have played together most some of the year

Kofi and Giorgi have been on the court togehter for a little over a third of the time this year, FWIW. So I wouldn’t say they’ve played together “most of the time.”

I took a risk without consulting Synergy

You’re a rebel taking huge risks out here. Gotta respect it.

1 Like

Gibson, excellent detail as always here.

How do you think Michigan’s drop coverage with Teske plays out against these type of maneuvers?

“High school refs aren’t good”. Ouch! :slightly_smiling_face:

I know at least one high school ref who is pretty darn good! :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lol, I’ll second that. Will pick up at least one tech a year screaming at an incompetent HS official. With that said, there are several I have encountered who are quite good. It’s just insanely inconsistent, even within league/division games when you see some of the same crews.

I’m going to reply to my own comment here, is that too narcissistic or self serving? I hope not.

The truth is, when we are talking about high school officials, middle school officials, and probably a lot of college officials, these are guys who love the game and who officiate in order to give back and to support these kids and the sport, itself. They care. They certainly don’t do it for the money. They mostly do it for the love of the game.

And, yes, I’ve had my fair share of “discussions” with basketball officials on the sidelines and from the bleachers or through my TV :wink: :grin:, but I also get that it is a tough job, one where 50% of the fans are going to think you are wrong on almost every call, or at least on many of the calls.

So, while I always tried to “work” the officials when I was coaching, sometimes in a fairly animated and somewhat vociferous manner, I’ve tried to always be respectful, too. My players used to get a kick out of coach, fairly distinguished and in his fifties, referring to the 20 something ref as “Sir.”

Now, I will say, I haven’t always been as respectful or understanding of the officials when I was that fan in the bleachers or that rabid fan in my Living room watching on TV! :rofl: I will also say, though, that as I’ve aged, and man have I aged :slightly_smiling_face:, I have mellowed a bit

1 Like