ESPN 2015 Rankings Update

Biggest Movers:

Jalen Brunson drops from 5* to 4* (20th to 32nd) - http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/178985/jalen-brunson

AJ Turner rises from generic 3* to 4*(#52) - http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/172728/aj-turner

Sedrick Barefield rises from generic 3* to cusp of 4*/top 100(went from grade of 75 to 79 and now #19 PG) - http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/143176/sedrick-barefield

Other serious Michigan targets had slight movement, but nothing of note.

Takeaways - seems as though ESPN agrees with me that Brunson was slightly overrated, nice skill set but simply lacks the elite athleticism to be ranked that high. Barefield’s ranking seems just about right for now, although I think he has the talent and potential to be a top 40 player, he hasn’t displayed enough in terms of decision making to warrant a significant increase in the rankings.Count me among those that are shocked with Turner’s rise into the top 60. Unless that kid has improved his game tremendously from last year, there is simply no way he is a top 60 player in the country.

Looking forward to how the 2015 recruiting moves forward once things are a bit more settled with the 2014 class. I’ve been impressed with Turner’s versatile game - looks like he’s a 4-star with Scout (#17 SF) and the #126 player overall on Rivals. It’s not like he didn’t get a lot of evaluation this summer being on the same team as Jaylen Johnson and Josh Jackson.

Looking forward to how the 2015 recruiting moves forward once things are a bit more settled with the 2014 class. I've been impressed with Turner's versatile game - looks like he's a 4-star with Scout (#17 SF) and the #126 player overall on Rivals. It's not like he didn't get a lot of evaluation this summer being on the same team as Jaylen Johnson and Josh Jackson.

Agree that Turner looks versatile, the issue I have is just that - Turner has versatility but doesn’t seem to excel in any one skill set that corresponds to a given position. For instance, do you feel comfortable enough with Turner’s ballhandling/footwork/speed for him to be a PG, do you feel his shot is consistent enough to be a 2, do you feel he has the athleticism to defend 3s or rebound?

Generally speaking, my answer to all of these questions would be no. Taking that into account, I simply can’t justify a #52 ranking nationally, and apparently high major schools agree considering the lack of offers. Turner’s ranking range, in my opinion, should be somewhere in the 90 - 150 range/3.5* type player that could be decent as an upperclassmen.

Put this in perspective - Turner is ranked considerably higher than Donte Grantham on ESPN(caveat applies because ESPN hasn’t updated their 2014 rankings). Grantham is a 3*/79 Grade(basically just outside 4*status/top 100). Under no circumstance can I see where Turner is a better all around player than Grantham, and certainly not 50-100 spots better. That is simply a bad evaluation in my opinion.