Dylan, are you Going to be at Spiece This Weekend?

Just wondering, because I know Austin Davis will be there.

11 pts, 14 Rebs vs Derek Funderburk last night. Scored mostly on cleaning up the garbage/offensive rebounds.

What did Funderburk do in that game?

I’ll give you more detail in a bit, but here’s the issue I have with recruiting non-athlete bigs…they simply have a hard time rotating/moving their feet. This first highlight from Funderburk really reflects that

Jarron Cumberland and Derek Funderburk are to much for the 17U Mustangs right now KJ up 46-33 to a Mustang team who is missing a few kids.

— John Curtis (@6deepbasketball) May 2, 2015

17U FINAL: King James 63-Michigan Mustangs 48. Nice games from D.Funderburk & J.Cumberland for KJ & A.Davis for the Stangs.

— Branden Hunter (@JustCallmeBHunt) May 2, 2015

I’m not at Spiece this weekend, sorry fellas.

Matt, I’m not saying you are wrong on your analysis but Davis got put in no man’s land on that play. He was in a no win situation because the other big and the kid covering the ball didn’t corral the ball well enough or at all.

What exactly are you expecting on that play from Davis? I’m not trying to be a jerk, I’m just curious.

HpH, I’m not saying that Davis wasn’t put in a bad position…whenever a big has to show high, it’s never a good thing. That being said, that is the job of a big…to erase mistakes. At the 5 second mark, Davis literally just stands there rather than making an attempt to recover and block/deter the shot. Some of that is instinct, another part is he’s just not a very good athlete. I like my bigs in the DeAndre Jordan/Dwight Howard mold. Finish everything around the rim and erase mistakes on defense.

I hear ya. Then the question becomes, does that backside wing drop down to take away the offensive big while the defensive big stops ball? I highly doubt any type of rotation like that is taught in AAU.

My concern with his lack of athleticism is how he covers the pick and roll. Now, I’ve never seen him do it but the slow footed guys usually have trouble with it. And everyone knows they’ll be put in that situation a lot. It’s one of the main reasons why Duke played some zone with Okafor on the floor.

He’ll never be a Jordan or Howard type big but I think he can be pretty solid, especially on offense. He could be even more valuable if he moves to 2017 class.

I'll give you more detail in a bit, but here's the issue I have with recruiting non-athlete bigs...................they simply have a hard time rotating/moving their feet. This first highlight from Funderburk really reflects that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQkZahJSj8&feature=youtu.be

Davis is probably never going to be a great defender, but it seems like he’s a very good area rebounder (which can’t be said for our current bigs) and has decent skill on offense.

If the coaches had known earlier that we weren’t getting Brown, I wonder if they would have offered Mike Edwards instead. Probably not, but his athleticism was intriguing.

I hear ya. Then the question becomes, does that backside wing drop down to take away the offensive big while the defensive big stops ball? I highly doubt any type of rotation like that is taught in AAU.

My concern with his lack of athleticism is how he covers the pick and roll. Now, I’ve never seen him do it but the slow footed guys usually have trouble with it. And everyone knows they’ll be put in that situation a lot. It’s one of the main reasons why Duke played some zone with Okafor on the floor.

He’ll never be a Jordan or Howard type big but I think he can be pretty solid, especially on offense. He could be even more valuable if he moves to 2017 class.

Believe me when I tell you the backside wing/guard isn’t taught to drop down in AAU! At least not in MI. I think Davis has decent footwork but he goes up really soft with 1 hand on his putback attempts. No way in hell that will work in college.

I don’t have as much of a problem with Davis if he’s either a) reclassifies to '17 or b) we have enough room in '16 to get what we really need…and actually get it. I was really hoping for 3 scholarships in '16 for the guard spots…