Did Glenn Robinson III make the wrong decision?

Jeff Goodman thinks so:

"First, let me make it clear how much I like GR3 as a kid. He’s soft-spoken, humble and almost too nice. He was drafted 40th by Minnesota, and there’s certainly a chance he can stick with the Wolves. However, he could have returned to Ann Arbor, been the primary offensive weapon in 2014-15 – which is exactly what he needed – and turned himself into a first-rounder with a guaranteed deal. "

What do you think? Too harsh? Do you agree? Would GR3 have done more than he did last year (already saw a big uptick in usage). Obviously it was disappointing to go in the second round, but I’m curious if people think he would have taken a big leap next year.

From the standpoint of financial security, GR3 didn’t make the wrong decision this year, he made the wrong decision LAST year…would’ve been a guaranteed late lottery pick at worst.

From a developmental standpoint, I think he made the correct decision. The statistics won’t reflect it, but his game did improve. His ballhandling improved, his offball movement improved, his post game improved. Lots of work to be done, but I feel he is a better player today, and hence better prepared for the NBA, in relation to this same point 1 year ago.

If GRIII had been taken at 29 by Oklahoma, which Wojarowski seemed to think just about happened, and been a 1st rounder with Mitch as his teammate, it would’ve seemed like a story-book ending/beginning. Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, the thing that I think kept GRIII from rising higher was his shooting %. He shot it really well the last 10 games or so, and if his numbers had been just a few points higher throughout the year he would have gone higher. I don’t think he would’ve been the “primary offensive weapon” next year anymore than he was this year, but he would’ve had a lot of opportunities, just like this year, and shooting a bit better might’ve made all the difference.

Finally, it’s still too early to tell on whether this was a mistake or not. He could thrive in Minny with Flip and Rubio, end up scoring well and parlaying it into a quick longterm contract. Does it matter that Draymond Green went in the 2nd round? Not really, he looks to be set up for a nice long career in a good spot. On the other hand, it does seem like it was a deep draft and his shooting numbers could have gone up next year. It was at least a reasonable decision, probably one that could’ve gone both ways, and I hope it works out for the best. I think GRIII will get a chance in Minny and could do very well there.

Not a fan of Goodman’s articles.

I think GR3 made the right decision. Probably should have left his freshman year. I don’t think he has the shiftiness and ball skills to be a primary offensive option at UM. At least as a 2nd rounder, he can dictate contract. Hopefully he can become a Trevor Ariza type in the long-run.

No, he made the right decision. GRIII game is better suited For the NBA. Why return? That would have just given folks chances to poke more holes in his game. If GRIII stays healthy, the day will come where he puts it all together and become a major contributor/starter in the NBA.

Crap shoot either way. Team needs, salary caps, international players, etc. all factored into him dropping to 40. As Dylan says, his shooting percentage was the biggest negative. THJ helped himself after a poor shooting % as a soph by staying another year. I wish that he had picked Bartelstein for representation, though. Working out for 19 teams is ridiculous. Bartelstein handled Mitch’s situation flawlessly. Nik exceeded predictions at #8.

Impossible to know how reliable, but I saw it mentioned that GRIII floated through some of his pre-draft workouts with the same lapses of intensity that frustrated some at times during his time at Michigan. If not for that, he was being considered as high as the teens, and certainly at the end of the first round. If that just is who he is, then he probably was better off going this year and getting drafted on athleticism and potential, rather than needing to be more of a finished product as a junior. Interestingly, Elfrid Payton was the only junior drafted in the first round.

In my opinion, Glenn had to go. He openly admitted his unhappiness about playing out of position (regardless of how able he was to play the 3) at the four. With Horford, Morgan, McGary gone, it was all but guaranteed he would be asked to play the 4 again next season. Even if he isn’t a polished 3, he would struggle to become more polished if he was stuck another year at the 4. For the life of me, I don’t understand Horford’s decision. He’s the one that got the bad advice. I honestly think that if Horford and McGary came back, Glenn would be here too.

I feel like many players basically declare their intentions for the following year’s draft the minute they hold a press conference to say that they are returning for another year. So in this sense, it was no surprise to me that both Glenn and Mitch left regardless of stats, games played, or development over the course of this year. I honestly cannot remember a guy who held a presser to say that he was returning for the following year and then ended up staying for more.

Interesting thoughts. Glen DID NOT want to play another year of college BB and had already made his decision the moment he held a press conference to come back ( eddieben ) for his soph year. He was a good foot soldier who bit his tongue, played for the team, and didn’t complain. His head was in the NBA and that is where he is going to be, he will make the T-Wolves roster. Congratulations and have a long career young man.

If he wants to play professionally, he made right decision. Did not matter if he left this year or next., or next. He would not have made first round. So if wants to play for a living rather than college - right decision. I would not be surprised if he ended up playing oversees though.

I agree with Goodman. What Glenn needed was an offseason of Camp Sanderson, which proved so valuable for Levert and Stauskas. He will probably never have the handle to consistently drive to the basket in the NBA, but he needed to really work on his game for another year and become a consistent outside shooter.

I don’t agree Glenn couldn’t have worked his way into the first round next year. Stauskas wasn’t even on the NBA’s radar last year, and this year he went #8 overall. Levert has made a similar jump and should be a first rounder next year. The scouts all questioned Glenn’s desire, his consistency, and his ability to take over a game. If he had stuck around and demonstrated those things next year, I think he goes top 15-20.

Now he’s got a much tougher road - second round picks aren’t going to get time to develop, he’s either going to be ready to contribute or he’ll head to the D-League.

I like Glenn a lot and wish him the best, but I do think he made a mistake.

Desire can’t be taught though… You either have that switch where you are a dog or you don’t… Not sure coming back would’ve suddenly made GR3 an alpha dog… He’s athletic and has some skills but his biggest weakness is that mentally he doesn’t have the alpha dog mindset

Maybe, but I think confidence is a big issue with him too, and if he had really worked hard this offseason to improve his skills, that would only help with his confidence.

Even though he’s a passive player, if he had just been able to make open threes last year, that would have elevated him significantly in the scouts’ eyes. Tim also slumped as a sophomore but came back with a strong junior year. I think Glenn could have done the same. Oh well. It’s all academic now.

Tim was in the weakest draft in recent memory. The 2015 draft is shaping up to have great dept.

GR3 is already a physical specimen so I don’t think Camp Sanderson would have done much.

I also don’t buy that shooting was the biggest thing holding him back, motor and lack of shiftiness with the ball did and those aren’t thing improved in the gym.

Seems like the most obvious answer is that it’s almost impossible to know. In many ways it’s an existential question, too, because if Glenn–like Darius Morris, for example–really wants to play pro ball, then simply having the opportunity to get into the league and see how far he can go with his skills could legitimately be considered a worthy goal achieved. The real question people seem to have in mind when they lodge this kind of criticism/ask such questions is whether a player maxed out his potential to earn money in a place where his chances for success were reasonably strong.

I have always believed Glenn’s skills could make him a strong NBA player. He ended up having to be a good camper in Beilein’s system–a system that provides opportunities for many players, but may not have been the best for Glenn. Let’s see how he’s looking in two-three years. Our expectations for these kids tend to be impossibly high.

GRIII probably could’ve signed a better agent. It probably matters more than him returning to school for another year.

THJr moved from 3 to 2 in his junior year and that helps. GRIII mostly likely will not given much opportunity to play 3 next season, which probably played big role in his decision. He probably believed that he is mid-low first round and see no room to move up if returned to school.

From the aspect of development, he would benefit much more by playing 35 minutes a game as an upperclassmen in a very young team, than sitting on NBA bench or playing in NPDL. His future pretty much depends on how much Timberwolves are willing to invest in him, and he probably does not have too much opportunity that he can capitalize. If his mid-range fall, he will have chance staying in the line-up, and develop other aspects of his game. If not, he will be sent to NPDL before he signs to play overseas.

Guestavo, go back and look at some tape. Not only did Glenn miss a ton of open threes, but on several occasions he just simply didn’t take the shot. If he was a 40% three point shooter (and he certainly has the form to be one), his draft status is a totally different conversation.