Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

See, I disagree. I like taking chances on the raw projects with higher upside as the Pistons. They are never going to get a superstar to sign with them in free agency so they have to acquire them in the draft. Although Bey and Stewart are solid, they will never be stars. They are at best complimentary pieces on a good team. If you aren’t drafting at the top of the draft, I like taking a chance on guys like Sekou and Killian to hope you strike gold and find your very own Giannis/Siakam (guys drafted later in the draft who are very raw but have a ton of untapped potential that you hope to reach)

3 Likes

Hey, I’m frustrated ! They have to start hitting their draft picks, no more whiffs !

Killian is TBD and he did looked like he has potential to be at least a solid NBA player.

I can’t write off a player who just turned 20 six weeks ago. Hunter Dickenson is a month older than Sekou. Everyone knew he was going to be a project. If he doesn’t show something next year, then the worrying that he’s a bad pick becomes more warranted.

Also, the Pistons have a knack over the last 10-12 years of giving up too early on several guys they gambled on in the draft. Amir Johnson, Aaron Afflalo, Kris Middleton, Spencer Dinwiddie. If, for that reason only, I’d like to see them give him a real shot at panning out.

I will say that he is a guy that would have benefitted greatly from Summer League and the G-League this season.

While his shot hasn’t been on (and having AD and LeBron guard you doesn’t help) for a lot of games, I’ve noticed that he’s usually running the floor harder than anyone else in transition and usually doesn’t get rewarded. He’s best at cutting to the hoop but a lot of the time, Casey has him in the GR3 role of standing in the corners or setting screens and staying behind the 3-point line. That didn’t work well for Glenn here and doesn’t seem to be great for Sekou, at this time.

7 Likes

On a totally different note, it seems like a D-Rose trade is coming any day now. The Knicks were the team mentioned last night and D-Rose was kept out “for personal reasons.”

Speaking of being without players, last night was pretty damn impressive. Playing without Blake, Rose, Killian, Ellington, and Okafor (plus Stewart in foul trouble from about 2 minutes after he entered the game) and taking the defending champs to double OT on the second night of a road back-to-back is not what I was expecting. Especially since the Lakers just lost to us last week and had a day of rest.

I’d like a few wins sprinkled in here and there but an entertaining loss isn’t a bad alternative.

Yes, exactly.

1 Like

If Austin Daye can get 3 1/2 years, give Sekou the same!

1 Like

Rose hasn’t played since the game with Denver was postponed. I don’t think he’s being held out because of an imminent trade.

From last night:

2 Likes

Excellent news.

And more

And now it’s being reported.

1 Like

I think that’s about max value for him this year. If they get a 2nd round pick - which will probably be around low to mid 40s - in addition to a young guard that needs a reset in the last year of his contract, that’s about as good I could ask for now.

Might have been able to get a first last year but no guarantees. I’ll take it.

2 Likes

I like it, Smith is a former 1st round pick, age 23. Young guy should be able to get a lot of minutes with the Pistons.

2 Likes

Smith asked to be sent to the G League. The tanking Pistons is close enough.

1 Like

Feels like Smith is just salary filler here. Generally, underachievers on the last year of their deals don’t resign with their current team.

1 Like

Pistons didn’t have to take on salary. So I wonder if taking Smith was so they could get a better pick. Reporting is that Charlotte’s 2021 2nd rounder is likely the pick.

If that’s the case, Pistons basically save 2mil, get a pick and .5-1.5 years to see if Smith can have a resurgence.

1 Like

I rather have the Pistons roll the dice on young and raw prospects with huge upside as opposed to taking high floor/low upside prospects. The Pistons aren’t in position to take a safe pick because safe doesn’t mean they’ll make your team from good to great. They need great players in order to contend for the championship since they’ll never be a big FA draw.

Given Weaver’s gamble on Jeremi Grant doing well in a bigger role worked out well plus a flier on Josh Jackson that worked out okay for them. I think I’ll give Weaver a leeway on DSJ. DSJ has the athleticism and talent and it’s a low risk since if he doesn’t do well, they can let him walk for nothing. If he does well, it’s a win for the Pistons.

They’re competing and still tank while still getting better is the best kind of tank because you know that they’re developing talents. The Pistons has to be praying that Blake will opt out of his contract after this season so he can chase rings so they have more flexibility in cap space(although I would argue that it matters less for them because they’re not a FA destination). If they can land a top 3 pick, they’re in good position to take the next step but still need at least two elite talents before they can make noise in the NBA which won’t be until 2023 IMO .

1 Like

I think they’ll just buy Blake and let him sign somewhere else.

I’m actually pretty high on Sekou. Pistons aren’t my squad so you guys are watching the games closer than I but he immediately caught my eye last year when I saw him and I was thinking to myself he had a very good chance of turning into a very nice player.

I actually like your guys set up. You should get a really high pick. I like the reclamation projects of Jackson and Dennis Smith. Both had unlimited potential and are still very young. They are both worth a swing imo.

If you guys add Cade, Green, or Kuminga (I’m much higher on Kuminga it seems than some others. I think he has a legit shot of being the best guy in the draft) and then roll out

Hayes
Cade or Green
Bey/Sekou
Grant/Sekou
Stewart

Moving forward with that core could be a really nice team. Grant imo is showing he at least has a shot to be a nice number two or a very high end three. Great two way player. I would be a very interesting team moving forward.