Derrick Walton named Preseason All-Big Ten

I don’t recall Gary Harris being worked in very slowly. He started at SG as a freshman, played 30 minutes a night and scored 13 a game. He easily could have been one and done but came back a second year which largely unaffected his draft status. Deyonta Davis on the other hand was absolutely held back this last year but it didn’t even result in keeping him around that extra year.

If you look at MSU’s roster this year they’re actually really hurting for depth in the frontcourt since Ben Carter got hurt. Schilling, Goins, Ward and Bridges are the only four options for those two spots. Now I guess theoretically Schilling and Goins could both play 20 minutes a game but Bridges is going to play a lot this year. Whether or not Izzo wants to work them in slowly, he won’t have as much of a choice this year at least as far as Bridges/Ward are concerned.

2 Likes

I think this is one of the larger discrepancies in talent, between returning players and incoming players, that he has had in a long time. I also think that he will be depending on the new guys more this year, than in recent memory. He doesn’t really have the luxury of easing these kids in, but the kids happen to be the most talented bunch that he has gotten.

1 Like

Gary Harris actually had a very good frosh season 13ppg, shot over 40% behind the arc, 45% overall, over a steal per game and played close to 30mpg not sure what else you want from a frosh. Maybe he should have averaged 20+ ppg and 35 mpg???

1 Like

One obvious reason that this year’s team will be different than other Izzo teams is that Davis, like so many before him were incapable of doing, for whatever reason,chose to leave–ignoring papa Izzo’s advice/ wishes.

1 Like

The Carter injury only means they have less margin for error/injury and might have to play smaller. They can still trot out a starting 5 of Nairn-Harris-Langford-Bridges-Schilling and can bring Winston/McQuaid/Ward/Ellis/Goins off the bench and comfortably go 9/10 deep. They might be ok if Goins can stay injury free he’s an undersized power forward but he attacks the boards hard and gets baskets in close.