Davis puts up 43

Guestavo, care to list the “true point guards” in the NBA? You surely can’t include scorers like Deron Williams, Ty Lawson, Eric Bledsoe, Derrick Rose, etc. etc. They, by your logic, all lack the ability to create for others.

Eric Bledsoe and Derrick Rose are not pure PG

Pure PG
Mike Conley
Steve Nash
Rajon Rondo
MCW
Ricky Rubio
Goran Dragic
Chris Paul

Trey Burke had the 23rd best assist rate in the country last year, just a couple percentage points behind MCW and the best in the Big Ten.

He’s a great scorer, but he’s a great PG too.

No clue what you mean by ‘pure point guard’, but I’d see he’s a complete point guard.

Yeah, you’re right about Bledsoe. He is a combo guard. So what about Deron williams, Ty Lawson, John Wall, etc. etc.? They are score first point guards who can also pass.

Michael-Carter Williams is not better at creating for others than Deron Williams is, regardless of who was “born with an instinct to create for others”.

Someone else said it best, you’re definition of “true point guard” is way, way too tight.

But hey, it’s your opinion.

What’s the definition of a Pure PG???

What's the definition of a Pure PG???

See, “Pure” could mean something different than “True”. IMO, true refers to someone who plays the Point Guard position the way his team needs him to. Trey Burke scored a lot for us, because the team needed him too. A true PG does not mean “can’t score”. On the other hand, I can see “Pure” referring to guys who aren’t great scorers, but are elite passers. A guy like Ricky Rubio is “purely” a PG, but I don’t think that is any more of a PG than someone like Burke or Williams.

I think we all (minus guestavo) agree on this.

realgm.com search “Trey Burke” tons of analysis and people who agree that he isn’t a pure PG. Notice, a comboguard or scoring PG can be a good passer and game manager, which Burke is and goes towards my point that Eric Davis/ Coleman could be molded just the same.

Lol at defining Burke as a “Combo Guard”.

I’ve gotta quit this discussion though. I’m getting trolled hard by Indiana fans on the National Board.

Burke isn’t tall enough to be a comboguard but he plays off the ball with Gordon Hayward for a reason.

Is this the thread that was raving about Eric Davis going off for 43? I’m confused.

John Stockton is the only pure PG.

Anyone else is just an impure PG.

Simple. As. That.

Then what is Magic Johnson?

Haven’t been on this site nearly as much as I’d like to, but thought I’d jump in this discussion. It seems hailtoyourvictor is the only one who has attempted to define “pure point guard” and “true point guard”. Seems like guestavo has some strong opinions on the subject, but is reluctant to share his definitions.

Back to the original topic, I too hope Michigan is stepping up the heat with Eric Davis. I would not get hopes too high on Coleman. I also like Dozier…any word on how he’s recovering from injury?

A pure point guard is someone who looks to create first and score second. Usually on-ball dominant and reluctant to play off the ball. This is on an ideal team where they aren’t FORCED to score btw.

I shouldn’t have to define something that’s common speak for any true basketball fan.

A pure point guard is someone who looks to create first and score second. Usually on-ball dominant and reluctant to play off the ball. This is on an ideal team where they aren't FORCED to score btw.

I shouldn’t have to define something that’s common speak for any true basketball fan.

LOL

Davis has been to a few college games this winter on unofficial visits but is not planning too many more. “I know I am going to go to a Michigan game.” Eric said.

http://www.alleyesonuhoops.com/E-Davis-Focused-on-season.html

Burke isn't a pure PG LOL

It’s even a stretch to call Walton a pure PG

I didn’t think you needed to define it for me until you made this comment. That’s why I asked and I’ll accept your definition. And by your definition I would call Walton a pure point guard “at heart”, and isn’t that what we’re really talking about? I just think he hasn’t learned yet how to create the passing angles in college and also might be a little fearful to turn over the ball. Which is why I think he’s often on the wing shooting jumpers. I think once he learns this, you’ll see his more natural game of finding the right guys and what you saw from him in high school and AAU.

A pure point guard is someone who looks to create first and score second. Usually on-ball dominant and reluctant to play off the ball. This is on an ideal team where they aren't FORCED to score btw.

There may be common speak, but that does not mean that everyone has the same definition of the same term. The mind of every fan is swayed by their own preferences and experiences. There is no end-all be-all opinion or definition of things. If there were, there would be no purpose for this forum or any other. All decisions would be preordained.

By your own definition, the term ‘to create first’ could include point guards who initiate offense and get the best shot for their team. If that shot happens to be their own, they take it. In that way, there are both looking to create and to score. Rubio doesn’t look to score because he cannot. Same with MCW. The fact that you include CP3 in your definition surprises me, though I count him the best PG in the game. That said, he is a score first PG in the 4th quarter, because that is what his team needs. Does that mean for 3 quarters he is a true PG but in the 4th he is a combo-guard?

"This is on an ideal team where they aren’t FORCED to score btw. "