College Hoops Open Thread: Week of 1/29/14

Name them. It’s more than foolish to use this years class (Hill and Walker) as proof of Florida’s “under achieving” considering the season is not over. Regardless, Florida was preseason #8 this year and is up to #3.

1. Between 2009 and 2012, who were the 5 Stars Florida landed?
  2. Was Florida pulling in “top 10 classes annually”?

Florida has not “underachieved”.

Kenny Boyton
Patrick Young
Bradley Beal

This season has concluded but when I bump this after March, you can add
Kasey Hill
Chris Walker

if we add top 25-100 4 star players, this gets even more shameful

Per Rivals (feel free to provide rankings from other services, Rivals is just the easiest to navigate and I don’t have a problem with their rankings)… 5*s from 2009 to 2012:

Kentucky - 15
Duke - 5
North Carolina - 5
Arizona - 5
Texas - 5
Kansas - 4
N.C. State - 4
UCLA - 3
Florida - 3

I’ll mostly leave you guys to this, and Billy D is an ugly mug, but three straight E8 performances is nothing to sneeze at, and the F4 line is pretty arbitrary. Would 1 F4 and two S16 really be more impressive? Roy Williams (2), Coach K (1), Tom Izzo (0), Tom Crean (O), Bo Ryan (0), Mark Few (0), Jay Wright (0), JT3 (0), have 3 E8s and No Final Fours between them over the last three years. Many have had some pretty highly-rated recruits too. Losing in the First Round of the NIT is underachieving. And bringing in top recruits (especially to a non-blue-blood like Florida) is a big part of college coaching. Other schools should be so lucky to be complaining about three straight E8 performances.

Kenny Boyton Patrick Young Bradley Beal

This season has concluded but when I bump this after March, you can add
Kasey Hill
Chris Walker

if we add top 25-100 4 star players, this gets even more shameful

So 3… not “5-8”.

You are acting like Florida is pulling in top ranked classes and crapping down their leg in the tournament. Getting to the Elite 8 three years in a row, despite only having one top 10 recruiting class in that span and never starting the season ranked higher than 8th is not “under achieving”.

My opinion isn’t changing and no, it’s 5 five stars, you added the cut-off of 2012 to fit your argument.

My opinion isn't changing and no, it's 5 five stars, you added the cut-off of 2012 to fit your argument.

I cut it off because how does it make sense to use the 2013 class? The season is still going and Florida is most definitely a contender.

That would be as stupid as saying “Beilein is underachieving because he has only reached the sweet 16 once at Michigan despite having 5*s like Glenn Robinson III and Zak Irvin.” or “Bill Self is underachieving because he has only been to the Final 4 once since 2008 despite having superstars like Wiggins and Embiid.”

How dense are you?

My opinion isn’t changing.

I realize that. It never does. Some of the things you are saying are not “opinions” though.

“They annually pull in top 10 classes.” That is wrong. You’ll sit here and refuse to admit it, though.

#10 Michigan plays tomorrow @ Indiana
#9 Villanova is clinging to a 5 point lead over 6-13 Temple.
#8 Oklahoma St. just lost at home to unranked Baylor.
#7 Michigan St. is losing to Georgetown by 4 with 6 minutes left.
#6 Kansas is down 15 at Halftime to #25 Texas

Regardless of what anyone says, Nik Stauskas is SIGNIFICANTLY more consistent than Gary Harris.

2015 target Evan Boudreaux has a game streaming on the internet in about 45 minutes if anyone cares to check it out.

http://www.highschoolcubenews.com/news_article/show/326300

Congrats to Northwestern. Currently 4th in the conference.

Unbelievable. After they played us, I seriously wondered if they’d win a conference game.