College Basketball Open Discussion

What’s the incentive for USA Basketball to do this? An academy system via the NBA feels far more likely.

Well, Kansas is still hanging in at #23 so we’ll have to wait another week for this stat to be unearthed.

2 Likes

I agree, USA Basketball is kind of a joke. Or, not a joke exactly, but everyone knows that the NBA is king. I’m surprised the NBA hasn’t pushed for something closer to the academy model where they can have more influence on player development from a younger age.

Wasn’t trying to say USA Basketball is a joke, but I just don’t think there’s an incentive to run a full-time league for any sort of reason. I think USABB already has done a really good job of starting to build a much more competitive talent base at younger ages. They just aren’t going to be the ones to pay people.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. I just meant that when in comes to basketball in the US, the real authority and driving force is the NBA (and related corporate interests, like apparel companies), not USA Basketball regardless of what the statutes say. Besides USABB dominates at every level as it is, what incentive do they have to get involved more directly in player development?

He’s slowly morphing into Saul Goodman’s hustling buddy, Marco Pasternak from Better Call Saul.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying they start a league, just have a touring team that plays exhibitions in Europe. I’m sure they could get the games televised to pay for it.

Watching Duke/Miami and was looking at Miami’s Torvik page. Harlond Beverly…yikes. :cold_face:

There is a lot that jumps out here and none of it is good. 42% from the foul line??? 16% from 3?

1 Like

Miami is trying to lose this game by missing tons of free throws down the stretch here.

Super atrocious loss for Duke. Q3 I believe, that’s hard to pull off in the ACC especially as a road game

Wow, Miami completely blew that game at the FT line and then Duke blew it even worse by not even getting a game-tying or game-winning shot off.

Just really bad basketball being played in the ACC this season.

1 Like

Whoa, we just had announcers give a player’s usage rate in the Oklahoma-Texas Tech game.

1 Like

I had to walk away for a minute, did I miss Fraschilla listing his favorite Gate City eateries?

1 Like

I was watching the Pistons-Golden State game and they showed the massive screen at the new Warriors arena. It has the four factors displayed at all times.

3 Likes

Sorry, ESPN, you cannot get me to care about a game featuring decidedly mediocre versions of Duke and North Carolina.

4 Likes

I like this a lot. Stuff like ORtg, usage rate, and the four factors are the best way to start getting casual fans into advanced stats IMO. They’re all pretty easy to digest. I think the NBA in general does a particularly poor job of this, with the super complex “complete box score in a single number, oh plus defense” stats being super prominent.

but I don’t want casual fans getting into it. How am I supposed to sound smart then

8 Likes

They could try to promise that they’ll both lose.

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha Duke :joy:

Remember that time when I told you all that they suck this year?