College Basketball Open Discussion

This seems to be the go-to waiver reason for anyone who can use it. It works every time.

As if OSU had no room for the most talented player on the roster. He wanted to stay though. Riiiiiiight. Another example of why the waiver process is silly. That a kid who likely had legitimate mental health reasons for transferring felt the best way to get his waiver was to say they had no room for him is asinine.

5 Likes

He can’t possibly think anyone will believe this right?

3 Likes

Well the NCAA did and that’s all that matters haha

3 Likes

That should bode well for Brown being eligible, but the process is so random and arbitrary it would not shock me at all if Brown got denied.

2 Likes

How do you know he said “they had no room” on his waiver as opposed to his mental health issues?

1 Like

His IG post.

That’s interesting.

Seems absurd that he wouldn’t have room considering he was on scholarship.
Seems even more absurd the NCAA would grant a waiver based on that.

2 Likes

You can’t spell absurd without NCAA…okay well you can, but you know what I mean.

4 Likes

Run off waivers are a thing. Just like running a player off is a thing, even if they are on scholarship.

1 Like

I don’t know OSU’s scholarship situation. But it is entirely possible when Carton went on sabbatical and then told the OSU coaching staff that he intended to transfer that OSU responded by filling his scholarship slot. Then, at the point Carton announced his transfer destination OSU was already at a full scholarship allotment for 2020-21.

1 Like

…which would mean he wasn’t run off lol. That’s what i’m saying.

1 Like

I see that he’s maintaining this on social media, but do we know that this is what his reps told the NCAA, that that was the pretext under which he was given immediate eligibility?

We don’t know for sure, but it would not be wise to publicly give a different reason than you gave the NCAA. It would diminish your argument. Plus, we know for a fact that it’s a winning waiver argument from players last year like Quentin Grimes (who clearly didn’t leave Kansas because they didn’t have room for him, but that’s what he argued).

2 Likes

Didn’t KU actually run out of room though? He tried to come back but they had filled his spot. I could be thinking of someone else though

Yeah, they ran out of room after taking Jalen Wilson and publicly that’s what Grimes will maintain because that was the basis for his appeal. But as usual, often the reason coaches run out of room is because they know the player is leaving so they actively work to fill the spot (in that case I think Grimes was ultimately mad that he wasn’t utilized in a way that would make him a one and done candidate like he expected to be coming into college so he wasn’t happy at Kansas and wanted to go somewhere to be the man). Obviously the only way you can appeal with that excuse in mind is if your school actually is out of scholarships so not everyone can do it. But it’s practically fool proof if it actually happens.

2 Likes

I think it’s a pretty good sign that OSU wasn’t interested in challenging his waiver. And it’s smart to give a reason that the former school won’t challenge, even if it has nothing to do with the reason for transferring.

Seems doubtful to me that there will be any on campus visits or eval periods until spring 2021.