College basketball corruption charges

Michigan’s graduation rate? Why not the national graduation rate? That’s a complete false equivalency. I used the national rate as my number, thus the only thing to compare it to would be the national graduation rate.

What are you even referring to? Top athletes are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars…under the table. That’s what this whole thread is about. And if you think the NCAA’s restriction on paying athletes is due to simple market value and not an entire house of cards built upon this non-market system they’ve built, then you’re either being disingenuous or your head is in the sand.

2 Likes

FIne

Again, using the amazing google machine

Michigan football’s graduation rate is 82%

Again - Revenue athletes graduate, across the board, at far lower rates than the general population. Even WORSE than non-Revenue athletes (whose graduation rate is actually superior to the general population).

Yes, top athletes. We’re discussing all scholarship athletes. If you think anyone but the very cream of the crop are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars you’re either being disingenuous or your head is in the sand.

And I’m going to just copy and paste, since I’ve already addressed this.

So using your fantastic deduction we’ve found out that despite having far lower academic credentials coming in, Michigan football players still graduate only 8% lower than the school average, an average that contains mostly elite students to add to that. Wow, seems like quite a deal for those athletes!

The entire value of a scholarship is to provide that person with a degree. Revenue athletics doesnt do well in this regard. It would also help if you could avoid insulting me.

I’ve seen this play out - I don’t care to be the next piece of senseless UmHoops Drama, so I’m done with the conversation.

I’d say they do extraordinarily well considering the academic records of those athletes coming into college. Almost none would normally get into Michigan and they still graduate 82% compared to 90% for the University.

Not insulting, congratulating!

That’s exactly what’s happening, why do you think athletes have been paid and compensated under the table for the past 30+ years. Why is that not connecting for you. If they were compensated properly this wouldn’t go on. As for why the NCAA hasn’t done it that’s because title IX regulation force them to compensate everyone equally. If the NCAA could provide fair market value individually this would have already been done. They can’t do that because of federal regulations.

And the ones who aren’t getting paid just don’t care? Why hasn’t Michigan’s team stopped playing? Virginia’s? K-State’s? Again, your refusal to answer the question is just comical.

You’re holding a grudge on an online forum because I (and almost every single other member of this board, I might add) disagreed with you on Foster Loyer deserving Mr. Basketball? I forgot that interaction even happened, this takes pettiness to a level I’ve never seen before.

a music scholarship is towards a degree in music. An Athletic scholarship is not towards a degree
in football or basketball. i am not against some kind of reform to allow compensation to athletes but an analogy btw music school and college sport do not exists.

college sports originated as regular students playing sports for fun and entertainment in their leisure time before it becomes a monster today. But i feel that it is still more or less fair. Atheletes can still compete professional and attend college on their own expense, for example Michael Phelps. Elite women gymnasts and figure skaters do the same.
Basketball and football players theoretically have the same choice, except there is no better alternative platform available for them. Mo Wagner could’ve played pro-basketball in Germany but he chose to play college in USA because NCAA provides best platform for young basketball players. anyone who does not like can start their own league but I don’t see a junior pro-basketball league or a junior pro-football league with a roster of the best players from NCAA will draw the same audience as the college sports. It is not exactly same but similar that musicians are whining about streaming services not paying them enough and iPhone developers are
whining about Apple took a big cut. The platform does not always go as you want but ultimately it benefits you.

2 Likes

Yes and no. I know a kid that got a scholarship for being in the Marching Band. I think he was working towards a business degree at the time.

Here are a few things to think about:

• The NCAA is NOT in charge of the one and done rule. It’s strictly the NBA. The NBA wants a better product coming into their league and the NCAA is the best way…right now. At some point a HS player is going to enter the G-League player pool and play in a league before they are eligible to get drafted. The only issue is, the G-League isn’t glamorous like the top NCAA teams. They get paid but not nearly what their “market value” could be. They could sign a sneaker deal that could/would make up the income.

• College athletes at the Power 5 level now get Cost of Attendance as part of their scholarship. For example, at Minnesota (I couldn’t find where it was on Michigan’s site), where my wife coaches, the cost of attendance is $2,500 for in state students and $3,300 for out of state students. At Alabama, the costs are $4,100 for in state and $5,200 for out of state students. Each school determines and calculates their own individual numbers and that is why they are different. That number is now added into their scholarship check. Yes, the student-athletes get a scholarship check every month to basically pay for rent and a few other expenses.

At Minnesota, the full scholarship athletes are getting roughly a $1,600 per month check (could be a bit more) from the university. At Alabama, that number is clearly higher with their cost of attendance being higher than Minnesota. Giving Alabama a pretty big advantage as far as what the athletes get. Think about getting that kind of money as a college student. On top of that, they are eligible to receive $5,500 in a Pell Grant, that they don’t have to pay back (based off their parents’ income).

When people say they aren’t getting paid, they are uninformed.

5 Likes

I had no idea about that. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the one and done is an NBA policy, nothing the NCAA can directly do about that. There is also no question that the G-League (or any minor league) wouldn’t have nearly the glamour and therefore value that the NCAA does. The NCAA is what it is because of how it’s intertwined with schools and March Madness, bowl games, etc… It’s the perfect marriage really.

You’re also correct with the stipend, this was changed about three years ago if I remember correctly. As for getting ‘paid’, the idea behind this stipend was that the scholarship covered tuition and room and board, but didn’t cover other living expenses that one might incur (Ex. transportation). And since it’s unrealistic that these athletes have a job, it did make some sense why it was added. I’d caution saying they get ‘paid’ though. While I’m sure they get more than enough to cover expenses, these checks are meant to cover their room and board, books, transportation, etc… To be clear, I don’t think an additional stipend from the NCAA would fix any of what we have going on right now because the NCAA could never provide the type of money a guy like Deandre Ayton will get from bag men.

For most athletes these scholarships are more than appropriate compensation. But I think where this topic was going was that some athletes (elite ones) bring in considerable value that the NCAA has long exploited. The courts said as much in the Ed O’Bannon case where they ruled the NCAA violated anti-trust laws. It was either that case or one similar that led to the cost of attendance stipend. Because some athletes bring such great value, teams have turned to cheating (paying players) in order to give them the best opportunity to win. Ed Martin and Michigan getting caught didn’t stop anyone, and while the well might dry up for a couple years, I won’t be surprised if it starts flowing again once everything blows over. The NCAA has zero investigative power to stop it (and I’m not so sure they even care to stop it), so you can be sure there will be coaches willing to take that chance in order to receive fame and millions of dollars as a high profile coach.

Except it’s not, because they are largely funneled into sham made-for-athlete majors that are worth a lot less than those of students who have the time to fully devote themselves to their studies.

Ask an engineer

Because college athletics are not a free market. At least not above board. Your grounds keeper example is a straw man.

I doubt it. Probably lower than their non athlete peers.

Their free will is not taken from them lmao, they can decide which majors to take themselves. If they’re not smart enough to succeed in a mid tier LSA one then they should just appreciate the incredible opportunity they’ve been given even more, because I guarantee they wouldn’t be at Michigan otherwise. I don’t care what “sham made-for-athlete” major they took (A gross exaggeration of their studies IMO), the Michigan degree and the insane connections made available to athletes will get practically anyone who puts in any kind of effort a decent job.

I think that’s an awful and completely illogical take.