College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Jeff Ermann says he’s coming home

3 Likes

For those of you that don’t read it, that says “the block was clean”

2 Likes

If i was Tang i would consider that a compliment.

2 Likes

Tang = da best

HD = bad

Tang >>> HD

#scientificmethod

3 Likes

Somebody dropped this to me on Twitter the other day and I think it’s really worth understanding deeply. Obviously this is the population of NBA players and possibly with some attrition effects not accounted for (I haven’t worked thru that), but I strongly suggest realizing just how large these age curve effects are as players go from age 18 to age 25.

https://www.apbr.org/metrics/viewtopic.php?t=9951

1 Like

Not sure what this is related to exactly? But it also looks like NBA right?

Age curve still matters but the difference in college is that some players are just significantly more talented. NBA is a sample of the most talented players in the world.

is this about the benefit of covid years?

Obviously they are different but the age effect is so massive in the NBA that a very large college effect is very plausible. Similarly the O and D differences are relevant.

Well, among other things, sure. CBB got better overall when it got older.

1 Like

6 Likes

Is it better?

1 Like

I can’t find a clip of this. Is it out there?

Like, mechanically, keeping a bunch of guys who’d otherwise be in Europe seems like obviously a good thing? Is that somehow in doubt?

I just think that there’s been a pretty significant talent drain on the sport that has impacted the product as much as some 5th year guys hanging around and up transferring.

Definitely don’t think there’s a black and white argument that the product now is “better”.

3 Likes

CBB is the least fun now thats its ever been in my whole life. Feels like overall the coaching and player talent is just really low.

2 Likes

Other changes to the sport being negative have no bearing on whether or not what I said is true.

Your point was that CBB has gotten better and I think many (most?) people would disagree with that. Not sure what you mean.

My point is that having players for an extra year increases the average quality of player in CBB. That’s, like, a duh obvious thing that everyone agrees with. If you thought I was making a claim about, like, the net impact of every change to the game in the last 4 years, I wasn’t. Apologies. We were talking about age curves, I didn’t imagine someone would take that to mean we weren’t.

I disagree

A 5th year player is usually better than they were overall as a 4th year player, of course.

The idea that the product of CBB has gotten better by having slightly better 5th year guys, largely in place of younger talented players, I disagree with.

Slightly better players with worse overall talent aren’t really helping the sport IMO.

I think it’ll be a good thing for the sport when the COVID year goes away most likely.

1 Like