College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

I swear to god that if I were remotely handy with photoshop or even MSPaint I would make myself a meme of Jon Stewart tapping a sign that reads “Professionalized highly profitable sports league administered by ‘not-for-profit’ institutions”

I’ve been told this isn’t quite true. You don’t need to spend equal money overall on men and women. It’s more of a best effort attempt at fairness and equality. Like football revenue doesn’t need to be evenly distributed between women’s sports at the expense of men’s sports in order to make the money match up. Source: a staff member at a D1 university

1 Like

yeah I can’t imagine that every sport gets the same amount of money per athlete as football

According to the NCAA’s Title IX Report from june 2022 (the last I can find), spending on women’s sports was roughly 1/2 that of men’s. That obvously doesn’t speak strictly to scholarship counts.

KenPom went in on Miami and national media’s adoration. :rofl:

1 Like

Every sport doesn’t get the same money, but the average male athlete gets the same spent on them as the average female athlete.

This horse left the barn a long long time ago but it’s really amusing to me that there’s such a robust economy from grade school through high school to get people (not just basketball players!) in position to earn college scholarships and play college sports but then once they get there it’s such a terrible deal for the athletes that we have to sue the entire thing out of existance.

College sports is a great deal for 99.99% of athletes. D-1 college basketball is a great deal for 99% of athletes. But let’s blow up the entire thing because a guy who’s already been in college for four years without graduating isn’t immediately eligible to play at West Virginia.

5 Likes

that’s kind of it’s own different societal issue as much as anything. the funny thing being this robust economy leads to more money spent to get a kid a scholarship than money saved via scholarship.

Florida vs East Carolina a dog fight

We play them next week. Caught part of the game. They have a lot of size up front, big guards. Rebounding is their strong suit.

1 Like

Yep. Elite offensive rebounding team, which doesn’t make me super happy against Michigan considering how poor of a defensive rebounding team we are lol

Cable bill or umhoops bill? Let cable go … :joy:

1 Like

This is strange to me. You’d think Michigan would be amazing on this front

https://twitter.com/MatthewJTravis_/status/1735774823895150767

I don’t see the problem with initial eligibility requirements AND applying the APR. All the APR seems to expect is for players to stay in school and stay academically eligible. Even if the argument is that there should not be a secondary bar, it is a pretty low bar.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be a surprise that Will Wade was probably the first person to realize that this meant the NCAA couldn’t enforce any rules.

1 Like

Wade is everything that’s wrong with college sports

2 Likes

Will should support the NCAA! His only competitive advantage is his willingness to break the rules! If what is now cheating becomes legal he actually has to coach well!

6 Likes

Is he that bad of a coach?

He’s obviously an elite recruiter, and a known cheater, but I didn’t know him being a bad coach was a thing?

Hey don’t get in the way of my takes

I don’t think he’s particularly good? That LSU team we played sure looked extremely talented and just kind of out there doin’ stuff.

1 Like