College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

Idk…Kentucky is a top 5 program with bottomless pockets…they shouldn’t have to make a “smart” or “under the radar” hire. They should get almost whoever they want.

Pope is a super duper coach

Such a massive downgrade from Cal

2 Likes

that’s true

if they hired Pope, Kentucky fans would be perplexed. On the one hand, it’s sort of a laughable joke that he is the best they can do. On the other hand, he’s a former player that they probably worship.

I don’t think Underpants or Pearl would be a downgrade for Cal at the moment necessarily

What I’m surprised at is they made it so unpleasant for him without a plan for what to do?

3 Likes

Like you fire your coach because the team stinks - no downside to the status quo.

But you just make life unpleasant for a guy still turning out pretty good teams (if not as good as he used to)

You better have a plan to get a guy that will do better than like KenPom top 20

We laughed at Louisville but this is 50 times harder to understand

3 Likes

we all said this! lol

Cal “falling off” was top-10 to top-25

this is the last ten years. where’s the cliff?

did he get run off for a fkn Covid year?

2 Likes

But like - say Drew or Hurley is your guy

You better have fudgin’ back channeled them before you run Cal off!

1 Like

Agreed, it’s insane that they ran Calipari outta Lexington without a plan in hand. Calipari is probably so happy right now seeing what is taking place in this coaching search.

With that said, it’s pretty perplexing why people are choosing Alabama and Baylor Basketball over Kentucky especially when considering a pay raise is almost certain. How bad does their pitch have to be?

Different times. You can win anywhere if you’ve got a couple rich dudes bankrolling you

Also they are very safe and comfortable where they are with likely lifetime job security. Kentucky just ran off a really successful coach and their fan base is nuts, which can be a good and a bad thing, but it brings a ton of pressure to win every single year.

1 Like

Jack Pilgrim:

Just got off the phone with a source very close to Donovan, a few significant updates:

• Focus remains on the Bulls and finishing the season. Won’t be moving forward in any official capacity regarding other jobs until that happens.
  • He’s been assured he’ll be back as the head coach in Chicago, so not desperate for another gig
  • No buyout to worry about (some fans were wondering about that), he’s free to step away as coach and sign wherever if that’s what he chooses to do
  • Wife would be open to a return to college, kids are out of the house and they’re flexible. That was an issue with Drew and Hurley.
  • “He’d crush it at Kentucky, there’s no doubt in my mind.”
  • Have heard separately he has looked into potential assistants should he make the move to Lexington, some familiar names have come up. Asked about that possibility: “That would surprise me, they play the Pistons tonight and the Wizards tomorrow. He’s locked in on the Bulls right now.”
  • Questions asked back to me on Kentucky’s timing and if they’d be willing to wait, any other options they’re looking into with Drew and Hurley now off the table.
  • “If the season were to end tomorrow, maybe it’s a conversation. But it doesn’t end tomorrow.”
  • Asked what the response would be to concerns he’s been out of the college game so long: “He’s coached Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, DeMar DeRozan and Zach Lavine. He’d do just fine.”

I get the sense interest is real on Donovan’s side, but timing concerns are valid. Kentucky may feel it needs to make a move before then (certainly if Chicago sneaks into the playoffs), but if the job is open when the season ends, he’ll listen. On Barnhart to decide if they like other candidates more and the convenience of building a competitive roster right away.

He definitely tried to use Arkansas for leverage and UK was dumb enough to use that as a way to get out of the buyout

If the Andre Drummond/Torrey Craig play hadn’t happened, Billy wouldn’t be considering this

4 Likes

You mean the best play ever?

1 Like

This picture will never not be amazing and can be used as an incredible meme. As a Bulls fan, I can say it sums up our entire org. the last 25 years

3 Likes

I am Team Drummond on that play. they were down 10 at the time. Drummond got the steal.

a backboard oop to a teammate is not unheard of, a self oop down 10 in the middle of the game is nonsense.

7 Likes

tbh I think my UK prediction is Todd Golden

I saw elsewhere where UK fans were complaining that Cal “embarrassed” them these last years. Outside of a Covid year that should probably be ignored as an outlier, I’m not really seeing the embarrassment.