College Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

Yeah, I can assure you that nobody needed to see Michigan, Rutgers and Wisconsin added to the tournament last year. With 128 teams, it is a certainty that all would have made it. More mediocre teams is not the way to improve a tournament that nobody asked to improve

5 Likes

And, like, this might sound like a nitpick, but the tournament is also the perfect size where I still feel like I can digest the big picture of it all and follow most of the games. I simply will not be able to follow the first round in the same way if there are twice as many games.

5 Likes

This is an argument for fewer D1 teams, not more teams in the tournament.

7 Likes

Absolutely. More mid majors is better. Donā€™t care if that makes it harder for Michigan. Just think the nerds are wrong about how to achieve that.

1 Like

I hate these nerds

2 Likes

Yeah, beat it, nerds!

Some people are better at numbers than takes

Well, the issue with pro sports is that thereā€™s just a practical limit to the number of teams you can have in a league and keep things workable. 30-32 is pushing that limit imo. When the NBA first instituted the draft lottery, there were only seven teams in it. Now itā€™s 14. I donā€™t think it would be a good thing to have even more than that.

As for college, is 1985 the ideal to shoot for? That was the year they expanded to 64, so before then there were fewer teams getting in. That 21.9% was the all-time high.

NBA is def ripe for expansion. lots of talent out there

1 Like

A Canadian team would be fun

1 Like

itā€™d be Las Vegas and Seattle probably

A guy can dream

Seattle is almost Canada

So is Marquette

2 Likes

why? what difference would you notice between 32 and 36 teams? itā€™s not like youā€™re always thinking about all 32 teams, keeping them straight in your head - how often do you think of, like, the hornets?

1 Like

Confused why this is so obvious to others

what percentage of First Fours have been non-P6?

Imo, the ideal number is in the 20s. 30-32 is already a reach. The more teams you have, the less often they play each other, the more teams miss the playoffs, the longer each round of the draft is, and in general, you increase the odds that any given franchise will be mediocre, since you can only have one champion and two finalists. More teams increases the odds of teams wandering in the wilderness forever like the Pistons have.

If they want to keep adding teams, at some point the big four leagues have to consider promotion and relegation, like the rest of the world does. Having a setup where 16-20 teams are missing the playoffs isnā€™t great for the spectacle.

I see where youā€™re coming from, but how is this:

not just this:

but more extreme?

2 Likes

Okay, but it could just be functioning almost as multiple leagues, right? Multiple high-level leagues, perhaps with reduced travel (true Eastern/Western/Central/Whatever conferences, perhaps). I do think the fear of wandering in the wilderness is a good point - my ideal would be fans realizing that there are things worth celebrating short of a true championship, but thatā€™s probably unlikely.

Iā€™ve mentioned before that I follow hockey very closely, and there are a lot of fans who swear that expanding the playoffs beyond 16 teams would be hopelessly diluting and rewarding mediocrity. Whatā€™s weird is thatā€¦the league went to 16-team playoffs when there were only 21 teams! Iā€™m not quite interested in that level of playoff-making - I just think this stuff is in much more flux than we realize, itā€™s always changing, and I think itā€™d be interesting to see a league try to expand beyond the 32-team level.

I donā€™t think itā€™ll really happen, though, because more important than putting a team in every city is having existing good-sized cities to threaten your existing cities with - if MLB had expanded to Vegas, they couldnā€™t threaten Oakland, and now that the Aā€™s are leaving, theyā€™ll use Nashville, or Portland, or Oakland again, or whoever else.

Anyway, college basketball, 2022-23, things of that nature, Iā€™m staying on topic donā€™t worry Dylan. also Boutros donā€™t respond to this youā€™ve already gotten one of my posts deleted today