Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

God I hate the NBA.

8 Likes

That one is surprising. I would have expected Beilein to value having Christmas off. He must have really been frustrated with the team’s play to call for that practice.

3 Likes

It’s clear he wasn’t prepared in areas for which somebody should should have told him to be prepared. Or maybe he didn’t listen.

1 Like

I think one thing this whole deal shines the light on is the latitude college coaches are granted due, for lack of a better of putting it, to do the disparate player/coach player dynamic. Unpaid kids who need to sit a year for a situation they’d prefer don’t really have as much latitude to question, take umbrage, or just not accept a coach’s methods. I’m not saying Beilein is abusive or anything - I’m sure he’s better than most. But EVEN John Beilein was so dependent on a power dynamic where he COULD ask for hours of film prep, he COULD impose Christmas practice, etc. because players really didn’t have much of an option but to kind of accept it. For better or for worse, it’s just not true in the NBA.

A large part of any pro coach’s job is to keep his players happy. Obviously, that didn’t happen here. Beilein was so convinced this was doomed that he handed back millions of dollars simply to stop having to do it.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m naive, but I don’t think that’s why Beilein’s players put in the work.

There is typically a dramatic difference in the motivation level between when you are trying to “make it” (and in particular if there is a clear path to make it, but reasonable doubt that you can or will) and after you’ve made it.

1 Like

Probably true. I do, however, recall an episode of Stu Douglass’ (maybe now defunct?) podcast where he had Zack Novak on…they were constantly complimentary of John, but it was also clear that they found his personality extremely…wearying. I think John has impeccable ethics and is obviously a great coach. I don’t know if “hearts and minds” has ever been a strength of his, and I think that’s MUCH more important in the NBA, due the greater latitude players have to just tune you out.

7 Likes

I think what we’re both saying is true. Beilein was definitely a hard ass, more so than you might think from his outward persona. And Dylan said matter-of-factly enough that I presume it came from sources that Beilein biffed on doing his part to win hearts and minds in the first place in Cleveland.

It was fairly well documented that JB “loosened up” a bit after the plane crash a few years back. Then we had super soaker-Beilein and a bit more levity.

There’s little doubt that he is a taskmaster, relentlessly in pursuit of excellence. I would imagine that he hasn’t forged familial bonds with many of his players. That’s not necessarily a slight or a criticism–as many of his former players still admire and respect him–but it’s different. However, I think his obsessiveness and that inability to connect on a more personal level with players doomed his NBA tenure.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree, but I also tend to agree with Charles Barkley’s comments too. The complaints were fairly ridiculous, and evidenced a real lack of commitment to winning, IMO. If I were a Cavs fan, I would be pretty disgusted with my team - both the players and the organization. A strong GM would have told the players before the season started, and especially the veteran players, “We made a commitment to this coach, we know this transition will probably take at least two years if not longer, and we expect you to be on board, or we’ll trade you for players who are.” (Of course, in the case of Kevin Love, his contract was impossible to move).

7 Likes

The podcast that covered Juwan’s hiring went over how Beilein’s Michigan was much more of a strict teacher-student atmosphere than a father-son atmosphere which was apparently evident. That could fly in college, but in the NBA you need to be more flexible to connect with your players.

One can just take a quick glance at Juwan’s IG posts to see that his approach is certainly different, which may also ironically be more NBA-friendly.

4 Likes

Given that every Cav coach seems to get run out of town quickly, I’m guessing it’s the first option. Dan Gilbert is really, really lucky to have stumbled upon LeBron.

And he still screwed that up, to an extent.

Break up the Cavaliers. Only two wins behind Pistons now after drilling Sixers tonite.

They hate Beilein more than they hate trying hard, apparently.

3 Likes

Playing great to be honest. They’ll hit reality mid March when they have 12/15 on the road. Brutal schedule.

Things are looking great for the Pistons’ tank. Well… everything except this upcoming draft class. I fully believe they’ll get one of the top three worst records (the bottom three teams all have the exact same chance in the lottery at the top three picks now for those who don’t follow much), but they really need to get the first or second pick to have a legitimate top notch piece IMO.

1 Like

Well, the “good” news is that it seems like the 2021 draft might be pretty good, and they’ll likely be terrible next year too. Would not mind seeing them grab LaMelo Ball this year. If you can hit on a good point guard, that can be very valuable in the NBA.

1 Like
20 Likes

Tonight’s Live Tweeting was pretty cool- though I wonder if he dictated his Tweets to somebody else. Some came in 1 or 2 minutes before the play and Glenn Robinson III’s name was spelled Glen every time.

I also noticed he only follows 1 Cavs player and it’s a deeeep bench guy.

1 Like

Pretty sure they were scheduled through BTN somehow. Just like most former players tweeted sponsored posts about the replay.

1 Like