Cleveland Cavaliers hire John Beilein

Well, the “good” news is that it seems like the 2021 draft might be pretty good, and they’ll likely be terrible next year too. Would not mind seeing them grab LaMelo Ball this year. If you can hit on a good point guard, that can be very valuable in the NBA.

1 Like
20 Likes

Tonight’s Live Tweeting was pretty cool- though I wonder if he dictated his Tweets to somebody else. Some came in 1 or 2 minutes before the play and Glenn Robinson III’s name was spelled Glen every time.

I also noticed he only follows 1 Cavs player and it’s a deeeep bench guy.

1 Like

Pretty sure they were scheduled through BTN somehow. Just like most former players tweeted sponsored posts about the replay.

1 Like

It did seem like Jordan Morgan was watching, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Yep. Jordan was watching. Was referring to some of the NBA guys who had tweeted about it the last couple days.

2 Likes

I guess Beilein would’ve had to have dropped his “must have visited the campus” mandate for this year’s recruiting cycle, if he’d stayed.

7 Likes

I wonder if Wake Forrest would have any interest in Beilein? It could be a fit.

1 Like

I’m sure they be interested but I doubt it’d be mutual

2 Likes

To me, it was really strange that Wake just canned Manning yesterday. It seemed really strange. Made me think they had something cooking with Beilein.

“Wake Forest is being mentioned regularly as the next stop for former Michigan and Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Beilein , who stepped aside from his lone NBA job after 54 games.”

Does this really qualify as reporting? That was the lead in the original article written by Sam Amico on SI (which is basically a joke now that they fired all their good writers). The rest of the article contained zero substance.

3 Likes

Amico has a track record I believe, but he isn’t really reporting anything… A great example of the viral echo chamber on the internet there.

FWIW:

Also reported by both Daniels and Demon Deacon Digest this morning is the news that former Michigan coach John Beilein is not currently in the mix of top candidates for the job and isn’t expected to be interviewed. Beilein was reassigned earlier this year with the Cleveland Cavaliers and is expected to pursue a college coaching job again in the coming months.

1 Like

Not surprised. Assuming we have college basketball next year, I full expect Beilein to be working on a TV studio set.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s reporting, but clearly no substance in the report, at least to the discriminating reader, which a lot of readers aren’t.

The choice here was to stay silent cause there was really no news, or throw something out there to grab attention or bolster the profile. Or both. The “insider” chose the later.

This was clearly a nonstarter from the beginning.

Remember, Belein is still technically employed by the Cavs. I guess if he really wanted a college job they could agree to cancel his contract, but we don’t know anything about the terms of his current agreement. He’s basically getting paid for nothing at this point. I know he has plenty of money, but still.

Beilein is back

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: John Beilein on teaching at Michigan