Chaundee Brown eligible to play in 2020-21

Guys people aren’t gonna line up to play for nothing if they have other viable options.

But if guys aren’t going to pursue any sort of professional basketball opportunities, they might.

2 Likes

With a degree in hand? Like Austin Davis isn’t going to not go be an engineer or whatever he’s doing to come back.

I’ll admit if I’m wrong when we get there, but I think it depends on the degree, the player and their financial situation. I definitely think pretty much all Big Ten teams have had some sort of rotation-level senior over the last decade that didn’t immediately pursue a professional basketball career that would entertain returning for one more year of college over starting their real world job. Very situation-dependent.

But like I said, it wouldn’t surprise me if a few of those Badgers did it together.

2 Likes

Not sure why you’d mention the Wisconsin guys specifically. They all could play in Europe. I mean any big ten caliber player could if they desired.

There’s really just no way to know what anyone would want to do. I would guess most guys would be ready to move on with their lives regardless. You’d have to really really love your time at school to do it again. I’m sure some guys will, but I would guess most will not.

I mention them specifically because their 2021 recruiting class is made up of three low three star type players and although it’s still early, they have two scholarships available. I’d imagine the idea of “we could use a scholarship on one of our seniors” is more appetizing when you’re not chasing a Reid/Bediako to fill it.

Also as far as I know all five of those Wisconsin seniors are pretty far off of the NBA radar. Not saying they couldn’t play overseas, but they fit the Zack Novak mold to me more than they do professional basketball prospects.

I think Chaundee Brown situation is somewhat different from Austin Davis. Chaundee already committed to staying 2 years at Michigan - one year to sit out and one year to play. So he wasn’t planning on getting on with his life after that year.

This waiver now allows him to play two years. So unless the NBA or Europe comes calling after this year, I see no reason why he would leave a “full scholarship” to play another year of basketball (especially if he has a great experience this year).

1 Like

That’s being a bit presumptuous. He signed up for 1 year of actually playing on the court in order to give himself a chance to win games and show he can play for a higher level of team. Best case he got the waiver, worst case he didn’t and had to sit. He didn’t sign up for 2 showcase years necessarily. I suppose he could want to come back but I don’t think the fact he was willing to sit out a year speaks to the chances of it

1 Like

Who was the last guy that played 20+ mins a game in his final year at Michigan and didn’t go play pro somewhere? David Merritt?

Spike Albrecht would qualify, although he didn’t finish at Michigan.

1 Like

Dave Merritt played about 15 minutes a game as a senior. Maybe Ron Coleman?

Zack played professionally in Denmark after graduating from Michigan. Professional basketball prospect is basically anybody at D1 and almost anyone at D2 depending on how far down the rung you are willing to look in Europe.

1 Like

Spike hip was never the same, fully healthy who knows about playing pro. So, injury disqualifies him from this conversation, I’d say.

Plus, he didn’t finish at Michigan. However, I do agree with your point about his hip. He certainly could’ve played overseas somewhere.

1 Like

My point is that if Brown plays as much as we all think he will and doesnt sustain a career altering injury, he will have the opportunity to play pro.

7 Likes

I think the number of guys who take an extra year will be limited. I also think the coaches will have a say in it as much as the players…just like the firm handshake of a fifth year.

I could see a guy like Davis or Brooks being asked, but not sure. One interesting question is what the eligibility rules would be. Could Davis take one class, have a full time engineering job, and be eligible?

1. It would be SIX years of college for Davis!
  2. He couldn’t have a scholarship and a full time job

I think there is a fundamental disconnect between fans and players in what college sports is - most college athletes suffer under artificial income restraints (they can’t work) and have some struggle as a result unless they come from a family of means. Playing sports is fun, but at this age, for someone whose sport will not be their career, it also becomes a means - a barter - for their scholarship and degree. College sports is also a ton of work (I was a (non-revenue) athlete at Michigan and can tell you that if I could have afforded I would have absolutely stopped playing my sport because of how difficult it made the rest of my responsibilities).

We love Michigan basketball and assume that the kids love it to - and I’m sure they do and will look back fondly - but it’s not nearly as uncomplicated for those of us who watch on TV and comes with serious trade-offs.

Davis has a degree. I don’t know what is in his head but at some point the guy just has to want to start his life.

2 Likes

Exactly…as much as fans want to believe that this is an amazing experience all the time - it is also a grind. The Stu Douglas interview from the spring was eye opening. They all want to get on with their lives - which might mean playing in a crappy league in a distant country, coaching, living, etc.

We all were excited for that first job…and then we all end up missing our college days too.

1 Like

Personally I knew the party was over and didn’t like that. Shoulda done a second master’s.

1 Like