Can someone tell me why this guy doesn't have an offer yet, but

MAAR and Dawkins both do? Davis has been on campus a bunch and has a much higher ceiling and profile. Seems odd.

Only the coaches could tell you for sure, but perhaps it’s because they’ve already offered Coleman and Brunson, who both have higher ceilings and profiles than Davis. You can only offer so many guys at the same position in one class before the impact starts to get diluted, and this coaching staff is much more attuned to that than, say, Kentucky’s.

We have cast our lot with the Jalens for now. Davis will be a dynamite player some day believe me, I’ve seen enough of him to know.

Btw- this wasn’t meant as a spam on the coaching staff. They have done an amazing job recruiting and developing players. It was more just wondering what is about Davis that seems to be giving the staff pause. We obviously have a need for guards and Davis has shown the interest and pedigree. And the fact that the coaching staff offered both Dawkins and MAAR shows they are not worried about guard commits running off the Jalens.

No way to say, but sometimes the chemistry just isn’t there or takes more time to develop. And we’ve offered Dawkins and MAAR mainly as backups, who could conceivably fill a starting role one day if they develop enough, whereas Davis and the Jalens are all guys you’d recruit with the expectation of them starting in their first season. If Coleman or Brunson seem to be going cold on us, I’d have no problem going after Davis, too, but there are a lot of psychological games going on.

whereas Davis and the Jalens are all guys you'd recruit with the expectation of them starting in their first season.

I don’t know about this.

I think Brunson starting, Coleman/Davis in an Irvin role and McQuaid RS’ing was a real possibility.

I think taking Dawkins is fine but i’d at least like UM to attempt to get some of the other guys first. Dawkins wouldn’t wait if asked?

Dawkins is a '14. How long do you think he can wait? It sounds like Dayton and Marquette both want him, so he’s not going to “wait” all summer for Coleman, Davis and McQuaid to figure out what they’re going to do. And none of those guys can help us next year, anyway, which is clearly the reason we’re recruiting 2014 kids (in addition to building future wing depth).

Also, the only way Brunson is starting in 2015 is if Walton is gone by then. I also don’t see a McQuaid redshirting. He’s too good.

I think these issues are playing out on two parallel planes - one is 2014 recruiting, the other is 2015 recruiting, and they have little to do with each other. In other words, we have a plan for 2014 (take MAAR, take Dawkins if he commits), we have a plan for 2015 (pecking order Brunson and Coleman first, then move on to other guys), and the 2015 plan has nothing to do with the 2014 plan.

Dawkins is a '14. How long do you think he can wait? It sounds like Dayton and Marquette both want him, so he's not going to "wait" all summer for Coleman, Davis and McQuaid to figure out what they're going to do. And none of those guys can help us next year, anyway, which is clearly the reason we're recruiting 2014 kids (in addition to building future wing depth).

Also, the only way Brunson is starting in 2015 is if Walton is gone by then. I also don’t see a McQuaid redshirting. He’s too good.

I think these issues are playing out on two parallel planes - one is 2014 recruiting, the other is 2015 recruiting, and they have little to do with each other. In other words, we have a plan for 2014 (take MAAR, take Dawkins if he commits), we have a plan for 2015 (pecking order Brunson and Coleman first, then move on to other guys), and the 2015 plan has nothing to do with the 2014 plan.

1. Wait on Sviat (coming to the states in June), Huff, Obi, Harris (can be contacted end of May)… not 2015 recruits. Dawkins wouldn’t wait a month for MICHIGAN?

2. Brunson (a scoring PG) and Walton can coexist in a backcourt. See UCONN and UL in the past 2 years.

3. McQuaid is too good? Dude looks 150 lbs soaking wet. Don’t think the gap between him and Dawkins is huge and too similar to take both.

I recall the quote from Laval…We’d rather take nobody than the wrong person. Just saying…

“I recall the quote from Laval…We’d rather take nobody than the wrong person. Just saying…”

So if Davis is the wrong guy then why are they still talking to him and having him on campus?

I didn’t say he was.

Dawkins is a '14. How long do you think he can wait? It sounds like Dayton and Marquette both want him, so he's not going to "wait" all summer for Coleman, Davis and McQuaid to figure out what they're going to do. And none of those guys can help us next year, anyway, which is clearly the reason we're recruiting 2014 kids (in addition to building future wing depth).

1. Wait on Sviat (coming to the states in June), Huff, Obi, Harris (can be contacted end of May)… not 2015 recruits. Dawkins wouldn’t wait a month for MICHIGAN?

2. Brunson (a scoring PG) and Walton can coexist in a backcourt. See UCONN and UL in the past 2 years.

3. McQuaid is too good? Dude looks 150 lbs soaking wet. Don’t think the gap between him and Dawkins is huge and too similar to take both.

I don’t think Dawkins would wait through half the summer (and I’m sure Sviat won’t make a decision til July at the earliest as he’ll use June to take visits and mull them over and wait for his stuff to clear). If he waits on Michigan and they end up getting Sviat, then Dawkins has to hope that Dayton or some of the other suitors still have spots open. I don’t think they’d be waiting on him. I could only see it if Michigan is his only at least decent offer, but I don’t know how long that will last.

I don’t think Dawkins would wait through half the summer (and I’m sure Sviat won’t make a decision til July at the earliest as he’ll use June to take visits and mull them over and wait for his stuff to clear). If he waits on Michigan and they end up getting Sviat, then Dawkins has to hope that Dayton or some of the other suitors still have spots open. I don’t think they’d be waiting on him. I could only see it if Michigan is his only at least decent offer, but I don’t know how long that will last.

I understand that they want replacements for LeVert and Irvin/Walton if they go pro and they don’t get top tier 2015 guards, but I think the gap between Sviat or even Huff/Harris is large enough that you tell Dawkins to wait. Those guys replacing Levert or Irvin = no dropoff, not sure the same can be said for Dawkins. Also, Tavarius Shine and Ryan Taylor are other late alternatives.

I understand that they want replacements for LeVert and Irvin/Walton if they go pro and they don’t get top tier 2015 guards, but I think the gap between Sviat or even Huff/Harris is large enough that you tell Dawkins to wait. Those guys replacing Levert or Irvin = no dropoff, not sure the same can be said for Dawkins. Also, Tavarius Shine and Ryan Taylor are other late alternatives.

I don’t disagree with the strategy, but I don’t think Dawkins or others wait that long and IMO, it’d be a bit foolish for him to do so.

I didn't say he was.

Then how is that quote relevant to the discussion?

I guess it’s not relevant. Please disregard.