Brandon Johns' unlikely journey to Ann Arbor

Come on, what made Ward #1 coming out of high school?

1 Like

I see Johns’ potential, but I don’t see the hype. I feel that it will take him a while to fit into the system. His ceiling as a freshman is Poole, and I say this as a compliment.

In what ways do you think they are similar?

1 Like

He was overrated.

2 Likes

obviously not the position, but the youth and the energy. My best bet for Johns to contribute is the small ball five.

Langford could be a solid player if he was coached to not chuck so many mid range 2s. But he takes so many of those bad shots, it just throws away possessions.

1 Like

I’ll give you handle (and although Johns has a very good handle for 6’9", it’s not too much better than Ward’s), but I see them as very similar athletically. I actually think before the injuries, Ward was probably a bit better laterally, and other than that, they move, jump, run very similarly.

5 Likes

Good god I hope not. Ward was the most overrated kid I’ve ever seen at Michigan. Even more overrated than Chatman. Neither player could shoot a lick. I hope Johns is way better.

He had a decent senior year at least. 38% from 3.

I remember Ward finally having a decent year as a senior.

Also, Chatman just shot 41% from 3 on 145 attempts for a team that wasn’t exactly creating a ton of open looks for him. Like JB says, some guys take a year or two, especially as young as Kam was. In fact, what Michigan would’ve been like with Kam this past year is a pretty big what if…

3 Likes

Yeah, but you’ve got to factor in the comp level.

1 Like

Ward never had a coach long enough to take him to his potential. Plus the injuries. He would be a great JB power forward/4 position.

2 Likes