Big Ten Discussion

Hopefully we can win these last two games and get the double bye. They will be tough though. Winning one would be satisfying though. They will likely both be Q1 games when it’s all said and done

2 Likes

Not sure, unfortunately. Nebraska gets Indiana and PSU at home. We go on the road to Maryland and PSU.

Including our win vs OSU, our win probs are 38% @ PSU, 44% @ Maryalnd; and Nebraska’s, not including their Illinois loss, are 68% vs Indiana and 50% vs PSU. Could happen, but the road vs home paradigm will make it tough.

PSU also becomes a factor for the double bye if they win out. Obviously a bit of a stretch, but could be on the table on Wednesday if PSU can upset Purdue without Vince.

1 Like

Yeah, Nebraska is still in the driver’s seat for fourth but it was great to see them go down. You never know. It sure couldn’t have played out better today. We get a GREAT win against the Buckeyes and Nebraska loses to the bottom dweller in the B1G. I know they have the tie breaker, but stranger things have happened. Who would have thought 10 days or so ago that Purdue would be on a three game losing streak? Who would have thought that a team that almost didn’t make it to the B1G Tournament last year and had to play the first game in their practice uniforms would go on to win that tournament?!?

Doesn’t really have to do with the discussion, but it sure seems like Michigan is in the top/early portion of the B1G bracket every year.

It would be nice to not have to watch at work every once in a while.

3 Likes

Purdue is killing me: play like Greek Gods against us both times, including willing some wild end-game reffing @Crisler; look like the best shooting team of the last decade; Vince Edwards enters B1G POY conversation by ruthlessly, efficiently wrecking Michigan (30 pts, 9/11 shooting, 3/3 3pt, 5 assists, @ Mackey). Now they’ve gone cold from 3, they suddenly decide Haas needs 20+ attempts per game rather than aiming for a huge 3pa gap, V. Edwards especially looks human, and then gets hurt, all while we could really use them to win for our seeding/mental health.

1 Like

If Michigan loses both games this week then it could fall to the 6. And you would curse me with the late tip off… Thanks :wink: Even Indiana could be a factor, a lot of crazy scenarios out there.

1 Like

Haha I wanted to add that in about how you probably don’t mind the early bracket. At least it’s in NY though, lots to do after that late tip!

Another random fact, today’s win kept Michigan undefeated during the weekend. Nice to enjoy every basketball weekend this year!

We’ll see if that bodes well for next week at Maryland and beyond.

8 Likes

Wonder how much of this is determined by how we do in our next 2 games. Dont think we matchup super well with Nebraska, even with time to prepare for their small-ball.

Is that Pat Chambers wearing a piece? What’s the story there?

Penn State is really playing well. They are going to be very hard to beat.

Penn State is just good.

It’s insane how impossible it is to stop Carsen Edwards from getting the inbounds at the end of the game.

It’s also insane that they let Tony Carr take that shot. They had a huge opportunity to foul him with around 1.5 on the clock on the floor. You don’t want to be close to a shooting foul, but it wouldn’t have been close. Way too good a look at tying the game. Way too good.

1 Like

I think MSU has got it all wrapped up. Finish vs Illinois and @Wisconsin. Don’t see them losing either. Purdue has Minnesota and at Illinois. Should be two wins. OSU faces Rutgers and at Indiana.

So you’re welcome MSU. Helped you get your first sole title in 9 years.

2 Likes

But, if it wasn’t for us they would only have one loss.

There should be an asterisk next to that title. they basically won the jv big ten title. Playing the five teams in the standings directly below them only once and four of those at home.

6 Likes

With 14 teams and 18 games, this is probably going to happen more often than not, though maybe not quite to the extent with MSU this year.

Part of me wishes they would divide the conference into divisions, play home and away within your division, then take the top 3 from each division and have them play home and away. Kind of like how they do in some soccer leagues. Wouldn’t be perfect and you’d miss out on some teams each year, and you’d still have some imbalance.

2 Likes

Foregone conclusion that KBD is headed to the NBA?

2 Likes

This is not even a biased take - flat out, regular season titles are worth much, much less if the schedule is so imbalanced that different contenders are playing markedly different in conference schedules.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for Sparty trolls and casual fans to tell me how much the regular season title means this year…
:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like