Big Ten Basketball 2022-23 Discussion

He did both BTN and ESPN last year, so we’d still get him on the B games I suppose but not the A games.

1 Like

Didn’t realize Benetti officially made the jump over to Fox from ESPN. Couldn’t find any contract details re: Hummel just googling but could imagine the same impetus that pushed Benetti could do the same to Hummel. Dk if everybody feels the same way I do about Jason but IMO he’s incredible. Feel very lucky he calls Sox games.

5 Likes

yeah losing espn is going be a blow to b1g basketball, football will be fine though

1 Like

I’m fine leaving the ESPN networks for basketball coverage. I’m still bitter from that BS camera angle they had during that Ohio State game.

8 Likes

cbb is becoming more and more niche and lack of espn can really impact those sports, see nhl

3 Likes

They’re going to win by paying the most money.

1 Like

Not TruTV? Dang!

ESPN is kind of in trouble no? They keep downsizing staff and it seems like when I go by it while channel hopping they show a lot of what used to be fringe sports. It seems like espn is losing clout to me on the whole.

2 Likes

yet they give out big money on hacks like Skip and SAS

Yes I think ESPN is in real trouble. Even SEC folks are acknowledging that. It’s really just SEC-or-bust as far as college sports go for ESPN now. College sports were always a huge part of ESPN’s programming and losing the Big Ten, among other issues, is a real blow, even if they do have the SEC. I mean really, their programming for college football is hilarious. I can’t tell the difference between it and the SEC Network.

As for us: Big Ten hoops on FS1 is going to absolutely stink. They are the worst. BUT, Gus Johnson for football is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Maybe FS hoops stuff will get better now that they have more B1G inventory. They got Benetti. Maybe Hummel can come over.

6 Likes

Casey Jacobson loves Juwan though, right? So even though he knew nothing about how UM played, he at least would be familiar with our existence…which was better than the majority of FS1 studio and in-game announcers.

Everyone is dodging the real question…will Bill Walton transition over to Fox? I can’t see NBC or CBS going for him. Anything that reduces the chances of Walton calling a UCLA/UM game will make me happier.

2 Likes

I don’t watch ESPN other than live games, but didn’t they scale all of that back like 5-6 years ago? Skip left for Fox around then I thought.

Benetti is just so good at his job. Major upgrade for Fox.

4 Likes

I think ESPN hitched a little too much of their wagon to the NFL and shock-jock personalities at the expense of the overall sports experience. I’m sure the ratings justified it, but I think it was short sighted. I think they grew too fast and struggled to fill content when other options became available. So while they’re “struggling” relative to the monster they once were, I think they are still in very good shape overall with what they want to do. Which to me is:

1. NFL
  2. NFL
  3. NFL
  4. NBA
  5. SEC Football
  6. MLB
  7. ACC Basketball
  8. Other
3 Likes

when you lay it out that way, the strategy doesn’t look loco.

1 Like

State is stacking up the recruits
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChDfrNLpb3N/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

By my count, Big Ten had 16 top 100 (247 composite) in 2022 classes. Already 11 in 23, with Michigan looking good for getting at least 2-3 as well.

Nice class

2 Likes

I’m not sure how you can talk about which networks are doing good/bad what without some idea of the revenue side. They take the difference. Paying more isn’t obviously a good thing unless advertisers or subscribers are especially willing to have those costs passed onto them.