Best Moments Under Beilein

When the team arrived back to Ann Arbor from Dallas after beating KU then Florida. What a great reception as they walked off the bus.

2 Likes

Zak Novak coming into the huddle at MIchigan State and going off on his teammates to play hard!!

4 Likes

You thought so? The first half, yes. But man, we had to hold on for dear life in that second half. We couldnā€™t get anything going on offense. I thought the zone was super effective after the half.

Iā€™d add the first half of that Florida game. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever seen us play better. Nate Silver picked Florida to win it all. We absolutely destroyed them in that game, and especially the first half.

I was pretty happy with the road win at MSU in 2014, too. Some huge plays by Derrick Walton down the stretch of that one.

2 Likes

Anything involving the road win at Minnesota is 2009 - we were huge underdogs and absolutely needed that win to secure a tournament bid (which was clinched a few days later by beating Iowa). I think Lavel Lucas Perry made a bunch of 3s to help our comeback.

1 Like

Peedi backdoor cut from Ant Wright to beat No. 4 UCLA at the Garden. It really felt like the moment the team/program turned the corner and started to understand what JB wanted them to do.

4 Likes

Completely forgot about this. Can we find this on YouTube?

Found it. Wow what a final 5min

Thank God we stopped defending last second full court out of bounds situations like we use to.

Someone should definitely put this together. Would be a great shot in the arm.

Iā€™m going to start doing it in my spare time. My video editing is meh though and I donā€™t have a ton of time so itā€™ll be a while. Iā€™ll definitely post it when Iā€™m done.

2 Likes

Anybody remember the name of the person who put together the videos of THJ, Novak, Stuā€¦In 2012, I think. THJā€™s video started off with Gus Johnson (I think) saying something like ā€œTim Hardaway from the DNAā€ and later ā€œDaddy never did thatā€ā€¦Those videos were great but I just searched for them and could not find them.

1 Like

I am pretty sure THJā€™s video was to ā€œbeastmodeā€.

I was the one who put them together. We stopped doing them because they took too much time.

I didnā€™t see them on my YouTube channel, so I guess they may have gotten taken down, or maybe they were posted on the UMHoops channel. However, I still have the local copies, if youā€™d like to see them again.

Found them!

Hardaway
Smotrycz
Novak
Morris
Morgan
Douglass
Season

8 Likes

Great job with those videos! Thank you for re-sharing them!

I feel like we never throw the back door anymore. We use to hit it four or five times a game. I loved it. Is it the offense? I see them cut back door still but rarely are they open/cutting like they mean it. Is it the cutters not cutting like they mean it, or is it just not a big part of what we do anymore?

Itā€™s the talent level/athleticism paired with opposing teams scouting. Why over play and deny any of our current guards on the wing when none of them can do anything when they get it?

I imagine the scouting report on Michigan is to just play sound defense. Donā€™t gamble. Force late shot clock situations.

But even when beilein first got here it was a staple and we had poor talent and athletes then to. Iā€™m thinking they donā€™t cut hard enough or take it serious anymore themselves. Like they are just going through the motions and donā€™t expect to really get it. Duncan Robinson should be feasting off the back door. The better we shoot the more chances I think , but I also just dont see that action in their motion anymore.

Also I didnā€™t see the down screen curl off the pick on the elbow as much. That was bread and butter a few years back and Dawkins ran it very well two years ago to. That was one reason I was loving Aubrey frosh year. He ran the play to a t and was automatic. Stauskas to before that.

see i just loved that team so much better than our teams as of late, those teams were just raw with talent now i dont even have a favorite player on Michigan i used to love hardaway JR.

1 Like

You loved them because they took things personal on the basketball floor. You could feel their desire to win through your tv screen. Pair that with some talent and you have fun team to watch.

Did anyone just see the article about THJ yelling at Melo to hustle for a rebound and Melo tried to fight him? If heā€™s willing to call out Melo, what kind of intensity did he expect from his teammates at Michigan?

2 Likes

yea your probably right it seemed like they wanted it more and had more pride in winning for MICHIGAN!!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like them.