Behind the Scenes at Camp Sanderson

From the Michigan Daily

Thanks for sharing, enjoy the read. Those guys definitely workout a little harder than me!
Gotta love the culture in the program right now.

Definitely enjoyed that article…great getting behind the scenes. My favorite tidbit in there is that Chatman has already decided and told Sanderson that he will be staying in Ann Arbor through next Spring/Summer like Nik, Caris, Walton, and Irvin have done. You have to love the committed kids, staff, and culture right now. They see the results of putting in the extra work.
Success breeds success. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there are 6-7 guys doing the spring/summer program in 2015.

So who’s the recruit checking out Doyle? Teske?

Voltron, my attempt at sleuthing.

The lift described happened on a Sunday, and indicates that Wilson was already in “no go” mode from the injury. Michigan announced Wilson’s injury on August 6. This to me means the most likely dates for the Sunday lift described are August 3 and August 10. The recruit visit schedule umhoops.com/official-visits/ indicates that there were no visitors on the 10th, although Tyler Cook and Josh Langford were 8th and 9th. Teske did visit unofficially on the 3rd, but there is no other visitor mentioned at that time, maybe it was Robinson as he was 4th-6th. Or it could be someone else entirely.

I wonder how it’s different across teams. I mean, wouldn’t all use the “proven” method if they can’t get results on their own? What makes Sanderson’s style so effective?

Another interesting tidbit is that Michigan’s normal recruits generally tend to need to get bigger; Mitch and Jon are the mentioned odd balls in Michigan’s recruiting in regards to this theory. A lot of top or elite recruits are just much further along physically than their high school counterparts, not necessarily much more skilled. This kind of gives you a look into why Michigan’s recruiting for under the radar prospects is so effective. They generally recruit players with great skill sets that are also hard workers, a lot of time really only missing the physicality aspects to their game. Tim, Caris, Nik, and Duncan Robinson all fit this mold.

Horford was a twig when he came as well. Not only size, but we generally sign average/below average athletes as well. I think JB is certainly attempting to upgrade the athleticism with the 16 class, but in the end shooting prevails for JB when push comes to shove. I would love to see more athletic players in the future, but I do think JB has tried to compensate with length, and that has worked to a certain extent. That being said, we do have 3 above average athletes on the roster in Walton, Levert and Dawkins. I would also throw MAAR in the average+ category if such a thing exists.

Additionally, I’d say JB compensates with bball IQ, which presumably results in getting more out of the athleticism that does exist.

Additionally, I'd say JB compensates with bball IQ, which presumably results in getting more out of the athleticism that does exist.

As well as players “who are desirous to be good teammates.”

Ideally, at least in my opinion, a good roster from an athletic standpoint should have at least 1 pogo stick big to be a rim protector, a PG with a good blend of above average lateral agility/straight line speed, and a 6’5+ wing with good lateral agility. We certainly have the PG, Caris isn’t quite there yet but is at least approaching the realm of good lateral agility, but we are definitely lacking a vertical rim protector at this point. Hopefully Ricky can make some gains in the vertical department to aid in that regard, because he certainly appears to have the size to be a good position defender but I don’t know if his lateral agility and verticality allow him to be a good help side defender just yet. Only a freshman though, if Sanderson can add 5 inches to that vert it will help Doyle out tremendously.

Additionally, I'd say JB compensates with bball IQ, which presumably results in getting more out of the athleticism that does exist.

As well as players “who are desirous to be good teammates.”

Im really careful about the good teammate thing. You have some players (Corey sanders comes to mind) that have a stigma that they aren’t necessarily going to be good teammates because what I would label animation. Just because a given player is animated doesn’t necessarily indicate that he’s trouble in the locker room or uncoachable. Of course, those type of players can be locker room cancers, but I think the “good” teammate thing is a stereotype for the most part. Just food for thought.

Agreed, as the staff wasn’t recruiting a rim protector per se, but preferred its 5 to take charges…until the change in the block/charge rules screwed up the consistency of the call. Teske is the first recruit intended to be a rim protector.

Lot of moving parts to being a good teammate. It is certainly no secret that JB searches for kids that “fit” and are willingly to sacrifice parts of their individual talents for the overall development of the unit as a whole. It’s his team and he isn’t shy about bypassing a heralded recruit for a lesser known better “fit.”

Teske is a great pickup for that reason, I honestly think he has the ability to be an elite defender for UM. That combination of lateral agility and shot blocking in a 7 foot frame is rare for the college game. I pray that kid stays for Camp Sanderson after his redshirt fresh year - could you imagine Teske with a decent vertical? That kid would be a one man wrecking crew in terms of altering shots with his superb timing and ability to stay vertical without filing.

Re: the good teammate thing: I get what you are saying Matt, but getting guys that this staff feels are coachable and desirous to be good teammates, is 100% one of the prerequisites to an offer under Beilein. Like you point out, that can mean different things to different people, but whatever the definition is for the UofM coaches, they are absolutely looking at that as a factor. In my opinion it is not just a stereotype. It is a tangible factor that is assessed in accordance to their definition and the preservation of the culture that has been created here.

Im really careful about the good teammate thing. You have some players (Corey sanders comes to mind) that have a stigma that they aren't necessarily going to be good teammates because what I would label animation. Just because a given player is animated doesn't necessarily indicate that he's trouble in the locker room or uncoachable. Of course, those type of players can be locker room cancers, but I think the "good" teammate thing is a stereotype for the most part. Just food for thought.

My guess is that this isn’t about bravado or showmanship, just more about whether the kid values the team or himself more, i.e. a kid (either directly or through handlers) that wants some sort of promise about starting or playing time or number of shots or whatever equals not a good fit in terms of team orientation. Or, more subtly, from film, do they pass up good shots to get teammates better shots, etc.

Lot of moving parts to being a good teammate. It is certainly no secret that JB searches for kids that "fit" and are willingly to sacrifice parts of their individual talents for the overall development of the unit as a whole. It's his team and he isn't shy about bypassing a heralded recruit for a lesser known better "fit."

No doubt you need players that will sacrifice on an individual basis, but I think every good team needs 2-3 “dogs” - a player that has supreme confidence and never backs down in the heat of the battle, and is just a fierce competitor that can will a team to victory. We had a “dog” in Dmo, then Trey, Nik to a lesser extent. For this year that “dog” to me is no doubt Walton - he showed glimpses of it last year. Other than that though, I don’t know if we have any other “dogs” on the roster (MAAR appears to have the potential) but too early to determine because of all the freshman. Need more than 1 dog that is capable of raising the intensity and imposing his will to a level that most other players can’t match.

Caris has more dog in him than anyone else on the roster.

In clutch moments I’d much rather have the ball in Walton’s hands or charge him with stopping the oppositions best perimeter player. Caris is very skilled but he is timid in my opinion, doesn’t impose his will. Walton imposes his will on both ends of the court when the intensity picks up. Love that about his game